Spectra Classic P-251 Light Meter

Guest Stephen Murphy

Guest Stephen Murphy

Anybody know if this is still manufactured? And if so where i could buy one? Ive contacted Spectra but still waiting on a response.

Anybody know if this is still manufactured? And if so where i could buy one? Ive contacted Spectra but still waiting on a response.

I've used one of those, it wasn't my meter: it came with the camera kit I was using at the time. It was a nice meter.

I bought it's replacement, the analog Cine Special and I haven't any luck in finding someone these days to check it out and give it a service. I rather liked how the Special read down to f0.7. My current meter only goes down to f1.

Guest Stephen Murphy
No longer made. Available occasionally on eBay - or I'll sell you mine if you offer me enough. ;)

Stick it on ebay then and ill see what i can do:)

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
Guest Stephen Murphy

So i managed to find a mint one of these on ebay just before christmas and now im looking for some accessories for it. Specifically i'm looking for the field case, the photosphere cover and i'm wondering if they ever made an asa slide above 320 asa? Anybody have any of these they'd like to get rid of or know where i might look?

• Premium Member
Stephen had one long time ago . Loved it very delicate dont know what happened to mine [nicked i think from my bag ] far as i can remember didnt go above 320 asa slides hope you find one so next time we meet i can touch it.

There are both 400 and 500 asa slides for this meter.

Guest Stephen Murphy
There are both 400 and 500 asa slides for this meter.

They'd both be very useful. Anybody want to part with these?:)

John - Ill bring it out the next time i see you and i might even let you take it out of the box:)

Marty Suslov of Empire Exposure Meter would make slides for any ASA / shutter speed you wanted; unfortunately Marty is long since retired - but I bet he made / had / sold many --- they must be "somewhere" ----

I know he was making custom slides as well as F stop scales for the Low light Candela so you could use them as direct reading meters also....

He would also make them for the Sekonic L38 & its successor...

Spectra Cine Special, I don't know what to say -- I have a Combi II -- little fancier --- but after two rebuilds by Spectra (even the fearless Marty said "I'm not touching this one") it still only reads acurately on the middle scale - and it helps if it remains upright and probably oriented to magnetic North for all I know..... Strangely enough it's better with new bats than the mercury batteries it was designed for...

Truth is my older - non-combo - digital Sekonics work much better ----

I do like the moving needle tho, it gives a "feel" for the light --

-Sam (now travelling in the brave new world of histograms)

• Premium Member

The slides I have for mine: 0 (solid), 12 (also labeled "X100"), 16, 25, 32, 40, 50, 64, 80, 100, 125 (X10), 160, 200, 250, 400, 500, 650, and 800 (big wide open square hole in the middle).

I'm afraid you will have a hard time finding accessories piecemeal, you probably should have held out for a more complete set. There are several on eBay right now, although none are as complete as mine. :)

Contact Spectra themselves in Burbank, that would be your best best. They still support their discontinued products, a true class act.

Edited by Simon Miya

Guest Stephen Murphy

Well after just a bit of searching the person who sold me the meter has found yet another factory P-251 with the 400 and 500 asa slides (it seems they only came with the pointer lock model) and the original belt pouch as well so now i have two complete factory kits!

For anybody who is interested this same source has found another couple of these meters (ill have an exact list early next week), all in factory condition, and he's happy to sell them so if you're interested PM me and ill pass on his details.

I have used these meters for years and think they are fantastic.

I have a full set of slides - up to 500asa.

However - If you use the calculator wheel on the back of the meter you really only need the 12asa (X100) and the 125 (x10) slides...

Simply set the calculator to the asa, insert whichever slide is appropriate for the level of light you are working under (a slide is not required under low light), then take a reading in fc's. Line up the little triangle with the fc reading you measured, look along the dial and you will see the f stop...

That probably sounds a bit complex - it is easier to demonstrate than to describe, but it is very simple, quick and accurate.

I also find these meters remain in accurate calibration if they are reasonably well looked after.

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...