In Need Professional Criticism Badly

Leslie Bumgarner

So there was a lot of great footage in there! My thoughts:

The music was very nerving, it made me a little too anxious. Its good to have a solid beat to keep the reel moving, but I think the yelling and atonal quality wasn't helping.

As for the footage, I'd take out the quick clip of the girl riding in the car... It's not as strong as the rest. Everything else up until the band footage is good. But I don't think you really need that band footage or anything after it (except the out of focus blinking lights).

Also consider grouping footage from the same show. Most of the seasoned DPs reels consist of a montage of clips from each production, but it takes a lot of footage to do that. However, I think applying to bigger jobs, producers will respect that type of reel a little more.

Just be aware that no matter that its a cinematography reel, the audience will try to piece together a story from the images.

Hope that helps.

Nice work. I agree that the music is a bit much, and the compression of the video is quite distracting as well. Looks great, but I would consider taking out ANY shots that you do not find interesting or that seem bland (there were only a few). Its a good idea to show coverage as well as just single shots (which you have done). I really think that if you find a more compelling song and shorten it up a bit it will really make a big difference. Hope that was helpful,

Bryant Jansen