Looking to get into super-8

Suspiria

Hi all. I'm looking to get into shooting film on super-8, mainly because I've never shot film before and I'd like to start out at least relatively on the cheap while I gain experience. But I'd also like to at least have some decent equipment to work with so that I know it's my inexperience causing any troubles and not just poor gear. I'm most likely going to buy a used camera on eBay or some other such place. any recommendations for a really decent quality used camera to look for? I'm hoping to spend less than $500 (the lesser the better), if getting a decent camera is possible in this price range. and while I'm at it, can someone maybe direct me to some nice resources for instruction on basic cinematography? thanks a bundle in advance!

• Premium Member

The good news is most Super-8 cameras fall in the $50.00 to $350.00 dollar range.

You might enjoy going on Ebay and doing a search for Super-8 cameras and read the descriptions.

Before you purchase ask about specific Super-8 cameras that you may be interested in.

The good news is most Super-8 cameras fall in the $50.00 to $350.00 dollar range.

That is fantastically good news, actually. Being a rank amateur, I wasn't sure if you could get a decent camera as cheaply as $50.

I'll take your advice, though, and look for some specific cameras to ask about.

Also, if anyone knows any good places to buy used/refurbished/whatever super-8 gear that has been inspected by someone who actually knows what they're doing, that would be mighty keen. eBay isn't exactly always the domain of experts.

OK, here's a few different cameras I found for further information. I'm not necessarily looking at these specific cameras, but the models in general. Any opinions on any of those, or cameras directly related to them (the canon 1014XL-S, for example)? Thanks again!

Minolta XL601

Bauer S715XL

Braun Nizo 801

Beaulieu 6008S

Canon 814XL-S

Elmo 1012S-XL

• Premium Member

You've come up with a pretty good list of cameras.

I was surprised to see the Elmo 1012XLS listed for as much as it is (well over $200.00), but it's a good camera. As for guaranteeing the camera, sadly there are very few known technicians that work on Super-8 cameras.

The cameras being so cheap can lead buyers to buy more than one camera so that they always have at least one camera that is working.

I've used an Elmo and currently use a Nikon R8; Both have produced great results. The Nikon seems to have a nice lens on it and so far I've been getting some pretty sharp images.

There are a few places that sell super 8 cameras. Run a google and visit a store I've dealt with in the past: http://www.chamblesscineequip.com

I've made some MiniDV shorts and now I'm going back to super8mm. Film is just so much warmer and posseses a magic lacking in video; Although digital video has come a long way and it's certainly great for many applications. AND CHEAP!!!

Hope that helps. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, here's a few different cameras I found for further information.  I'm not necessarily looking at these specific cameras, but the models in general.  Any opinions on any of those, or cameras directly related to them (the canon 1014XL-S, for example)?  Thanks again!

Minolta XL601

Bauer S715XL

Braun Nizo 801

Beaulieu 6008S

Canon 814XL-S

Elmo 1012S-XL

Hi - I sell Beaulieu and Nizo Super 8 Cameras that have been checked and serviced by a qualified technician and film tested. Your list is good - the Beaulieu 6008 is the best camera by far in my opinion, and I also like the Nizo's because they are cool hand held cameras - compact and high quality.

If you haven't purchased a camera yet, I have a Nizo 801 just getting out of the service shop. I used it on a B-roll shoot for an EPK (Electronic Press Kit) for a young singer from the EMI label doing a Clarol Herbal Essence commercial. Some nice 54fps blue screen of her performing - excuse me - singing - in the shower of course. It's got the special feature of the battery compartment modified so the PX625 meter batteries are not needed - like the Nizo Professional model.

I also have a gorgeous Beaulieu 4008 - also a great camera - due out from the service shop that is a cosmetic beauty and will be fully checked out and ready to shooot film. I have the screw-in battery for it extra big size - 550mA, and external 2300mA battery packs, socket adapters, and lens hoods etc.

You can email me at m_osterhus@yahoo.com or call 818-989-0422 if interested.

Best Wishes,

"Rocket 88"