New primes plus a lightweight zoom for the RED ONE Digital Cinema Camera

Emanuel A Guedes

After some weeks (or even months) in touch with Gregory from Optar Illumina, I could know that this Russian brand is able to announce a new set with S35mm coverage targeting the RED ONE camera customers:

T1.3/18mm, T1.3/25mm, T1.3/35mm, T1.3/50mm, T1.3/85mm

T3/16-64mm

T1.9/9.8mm (not fisheye)

March/April 2008 for the five primes and lightweight zoom. The widest will come few months later.

• Premium Member

That's interesting, less than the Elite's means it's actually a very good price. Of course we have no idea about the quality yet, but at least the specs are much better than the Red primes (they are a stop faster).

After some weeks (or even months) in touch with Gregory from Optar Illumina, I could know that this Russian brand is able to announce a new set with S35mm coverage targeting the RED ONE camera customers:

T3/16-64mm

T1.9/9.8mm (not fisheye)

March/April 2008 for the five primes and lightweight zoom. The widest will come few months later.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL AND THE LENSES ARE STILL IN THE DEVELOPMENT STAGE.

Anthony Edward

Sales Mgr Lumatech, Inc

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL AND THE LENSES ARE STILL IN THE DEVELOPMENT STAGE.

Anthony Edward

Sales Mgr Lumatech, Inc

Yes, this is not official. Just a pre-announcement but with your knowledge and authorization. Since three months ago that I've been in touch with Gregory Mirand. Yesterday, I had his permission in order to post THIS information, not any other. All the details were scrutinized under his supervision 'cause I wouldn't wish to read any complaint. Please, check this information with him. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Emanuel

• Premium Member
Speaking of RED "lenses", have you or anyone else here heard any reviews of the RED 18-50mm zoom?

For the optical quality you can look up reviews of the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 zoom, that's the glass they are taking.

Of course the build quality has an impact on the look too. Quality control is very important for optics, you can have the best glass in the world, if the mechanics are bad and do not withstand the stress of filmmaking you will soon have focus and other problems.

For the optical quality you can look up reviews of the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 zoom, that's the glass they are taking.

Of course the build quality has an impact on the look too. Quality control is very important for optics, you can have the best glass in the world, if the mechanics are bad and do not withstand the stress of filmmaking you will soon have focus and other problems.

All true. And even more important is the optical tech who is assembling the glass into the new housings. Lots of variables in zooming optics.

T3/16-64mm

T1.9/9.8mm (not fisheye)

Hi

I know Optar is made in Russia, and I heard a story that after WWII the Russians transfered the Zeiss factory with the optical engineers and machinery to Russia and forced them to manufacture optics as Zeiss quality in Russia. Of course when you are forced to do something against your free will you don't get same results but was that the foundation of the Optar? I saw a set of optar S16 T1.3 and optical quality looks like Zeiss their problem is more the mechanical.

Also anybody knows if you can get them in Russia since I heard Optar has sort of an agreement that these lenses can only be sold in The USA and Optar is not allowed to sell them elsewhere.

• Premium Member
I heard a story that after WWII the Russians transfered the Zeiss factory with the optical engineers and machinery to Russia ....

Germany was partitioned into four zones. The Soviet zone became East Germany, and remained for all practical purposes under Soviet control. The American, British, and French zones were later combined into West Germany. Zeiss had facilities in both the East and the West. Arri was only in the West.

-- J.S.