Gelling Windows HELP!!!

Andrew Wheeler

Hey does anyone have any suggestions for gelling windows. I need to gel windows that are 4 feet by 6 feet and it needs to be more permanent than water and a squeegy. Im essentially making my own hard gels. A bunch of plexi glass has been purchased and that is what the ND needs to be stuck to and then that will be attached to the window. Ive tested a few methods with no luck. Any ideas or suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks,

andrew

GO to a glass supply house. You can purchase plexi that is already ND. No need to stick anything to it. It might have to be a order product but most glass shops can have these sent 2day. you can also get it in cto, cto+nd, ctb and many other options.

dont call it ND when you talk to them they will look at you funny. call it tinted.

If you cant get it in time the GAM stuff works but I think it might have been discontinued. Scotch makes a Clear double stick tape. tape the edges and corners and stretch it. I dont know the product name for the clear double stick but try google.

Hey does anyone have any suggestions for gelling windows. I need to gel windows that are 4 feet by 6 feet and it needs to be more permanent than water and a squeegy. Im essentially making my own hard gels. A bunch of plexi glass has been purchased and that is what the ND needs to be stuck to and then that will be attached to the window. Ive tested a few methods with no luck. Any ideas or suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks,

andrew

Ive seen some guys mix dish soap and water and spray it on the glass and then squiggie the gel on, it sticks easily and its easy to pull off.

• Premium Member

If the 4x25' roll is wide enough, you can use 3M ATG tape, aka snot tape, and apply the tape to the window frame. Outside is best, if not, then you could put tape on the edges to make it look like the window frame. Just be sure that the tape on the edges is completely opaque. Light passing through the tape may not look right. I've put a layer of 1" paper tape down and then 1"white artists tape over that to make it look like the window frame.

ATG tape is just adhesive, there's no paper, or polyester liner to support it. ATG is often used on gel frames and windows. It's kind of a pain to use at first though.

I've seen gaffer's build custom frames out of wood that fit into the existing window frame. They then use small 3M circular velcro to tack the gel to the frame and can stack subsequent densities of ND as the day changes on to the same frame.

Great American Market still makes a material called window grip. It works great I put it on a driver's side car window that needed to hide the driver and it worked great. I then rolled the window down on camera multiple times.

You can also buy ND plexiglass that isn't that much more then rolls of ND.

http://www.gamonline.com/