storaro lighting for interior shot

• Premium Member
the multibank par in interior scene seems to be much powerful.....i think he use a inky or pepper.....

Sure, he also uses small units, which is why your question was too vague. You'd have to tell us the specific shot you are thinking of. Although don't assume that just because a scene is dark & moody that the light level must have been low.

"Daniele", you need to go to My Controls and edit your Display Name to a real first and last name, as per the forum rules. Thanks.

As David said just because the final image looks like its lit with little light that doesnt follow .The film you are talking about was shot mid 80s anamorphic and prob. 100asa 5247 , so quite a lot of light would have been needed if you you thought it looked like it was lit with a tweeny or whatever shows you how well he did his job.

escuse me david...

the in scenes in LADYHAWKE : when the girl is injured by a dart and after that she rest in a castle.......he sleep and a beautiful soft light cover her body...the light is very crisp but soft...

second scene : the exterior night shot (in general) with a beautiful blue light! it seem to be underexposed a bit......

the scenes in fifth cord :

first scene : when franco nero go to his friend in her beautiful house and she talk with him in front of fireplace...(the interior is lit beautifully!)

second scene : the sick women in a bed with fireplace and wheelchair (interior shot)

all is acl light?

• Premium Member

Storaro uses a wide assortment of tungsten lamps (and occasionally, a carbon arc but rarely). The big ones are usually the multi-bank ACL's called Jumbos, similar to Dinos. But he uses smaller versions with fewer banks, and I'm sure he uses some regular small tungstens.

But in this case, it is a soft light, which usually means he's shining something through a frame of diffusion. I don't know what particular unit it was but it doesn't really matter.