chorus on stage

marshalldragon

Hey, I'm an Army broadcaster. Which makes me amauter at best when it comes to lighting and such. I'm looking for help shooting a chorus on a stage in a dark auditorium. We have shot this 4 times now, and the lighting just doesn't want to work, so I need some help. We have a small light kit, one key light, and two fill lights. I believe we are going to borrow a second set, so 2 of the above set is what I'm working with. Our big problem is too many shadows, because our lights only go about 6 feet high, and the chorus is on a 3 foot stage. So any help you can offer about light positioning, etc, I would greatly appreciate. Remember, I don't have anything fancy, so please don't get too technical. Thanks.

This is going to be difficult, since you only have a few lights and you're attempting to light an entire chorus. Shadows are inevitable. What kind of wattages are you working with? If your kits are bright enough, consider diffusion frames. Simply point the light(s) through a certain material (there are several you can use) to make the source "larger." This will soften shadows. However, if you cannot do this, try placing the lights in a half-circle arrangement, with the key lights as the ones near the center. Something like this:

/                                        \
          /             |                |             \
        F               |                |                 F
                        K                K