Globe for Chinese Lantern?

• Premium Member
I would like to get at least a 500W (if not more powerful) tungsten balanced globe for a chinese lantern - should I use a photoflood or is there something else I should use?

Hi Alexander,

Aside from the danger of melting your base, an even greater danger is setting fire to a PAPER lantern. You really shouldn't be using anything brighter than 500w in a paper lantern and making sure that it is secure in such a way that the globe can't flop about inside. (and touch the paper)

If you like the look of a paper lantern but want more bullets, there are several chimera style fabric versions that you should be looking into.

JB

If using store-bought paper lanterns, I would always spray down the paper with a fire retardant material well ahead of time - it's common sense and no hire house would supply ones that hadn't been given such a treatment. That being said, it's not a safety blanket - you still need to keep an eye on them.

(Also give your photofloods LOTS of time to cool. I was taking out a bayonet mount one that I thought was cooled - but since my pain receptors decided to wait two seconds before screaming otherwise, I had to hold onto it until I finished climbing down the ladder - it was one of our last surviving bulbs... It's no fun having cooked flesh. :( )

Edited by Jon Kukla

You really can use any kind of globe that you would put in a household lamp in the china balls or lanterns. There are practicle globes called 211 212 and 213 that I use a lot because they last longer than photofloods and depending on the number it alters the wattage and color temp. 211- 75 watt 2900 K 212 150 watt 3200 K and 213 300 watt 3400 K. They are 5 bucks each at filmtools in burbank.

You really can use any kind of globe that you would put in a household lamp in the china balls or lanterns. There are practicle globes called 211 212 and 213 that I use a lot because they last longer than photofloods and depending on the number it alters the wattage and color temp. 211- 75 watt 2900 K 212 150 watt 3200 K and 213 300 watt 3400 K. They are 5 bucks each at filmtools in burbank.

Sorry about the double posting and maybe I should read more clearly what you asked... 500 watts! Sorry about that! Thats getting closed to having to use an actual quartz lamp and you're better off using a 650 watt light with a chimera ball instead of a paper lantern cause it will burn up after extended use. Let me know if you find anything practicle of that size.

Chris Walters

Is this globe 3200K balanced? - http://lanternlock.com/mogul.html. Also, I think I've seen these lanternlocks on set before, but I just want to make sure this site is legit before I buy (only because it looks kind of shady - www.lanternlock.com. If anyone else has experience with these, or can tell me this site is the real deal, let me know.

Edited by Alexander Disenhof

• Premium Member
Is this globe 3200K balanced? - <a href="http://lanternlock.com/mogul.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://lanternlock.com/mogul.html</a>. Also, I think I've seen these lanternlocks on set before, but I just want to make sure this site is legit before I buy (only because it looks kind of shady - www.lanternlock.com. If anyone else has experience with these, or can tell me this site is the real deal, let me know.

I bought some of him about 5 months ago and had no problem whatsoever. I think they took about a week arriving here in Prague, Czech Republic. I must also add that they are top good quality fixtures