JVC or CANON

Kirill Nersesyan

All right!

Just made it to B&H and took a look at the JVS HD GY-111 camera. It looked nice and the feel was just right since the lens was nothing new to me and it was analog - iris ring, focus ring etc. However the guy in the store was yelling that the camera was crap and he has never seen so many colour abberations as from the lens it came with and that even the JVC guy said the lens was crap. His answer to the problem was simple - go get the brand bew Canon Xl. Which I also looked at and it was not as comfortable, with the electronic focus ring and the iris on the little wheel way past the thumb etc. Anyone here dealt with the JVC? Any words on the abberations? Any words on the overall camera experience? I need to decide since I am about to shoot - I gotta know if this camera will not be reliable.

thx

Guest Trevor Swaim
All right!

Just made it to B&H and took a look at the JVS HD GY-111 camera. It looked nice and the feel was just right since the lens was nothing new to me and it was analog - iris ring, focus ring etc. However the guy in the store was yelling that the camera was crap and he has never seen so many colour abberations as from the lens it came with and that even the JVC guy said the lens was crap. His answer to the problem was simple - go get the brand bew Canon Xl. Which I also looked at and it was not as comfortable, with the electronic focus ring and the iris on the little wheel way past the thumb etc. Anyone here dealt with the JVC? Any words on the abberations? Any words on the overall camera experience? I need to decide since I am about to shoot - I gotta know if this camera will not be reliable.

thx

The camera is very reliable it has shot at the north pole, in rain forests, in deserts etc. it is a great, reliable, and as you said comfortable camera. The lens that comes on the camera is known to have some mild CA problems and it breathes a little when focusing, but it is far from crap. The bottom line is what looks good to you. Do you like the footage that comes from the HD110?? if so then that is the camera for you, if you prefer the canon and can live with a less ergonomic setup then get that. Forget the specs and look at the footage.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The lens that comes with the JVC is junk - budget for a better one. The canon is vastly better; and I say this as someone who's fairly enthusiastic about the JVC pictures.

I am however convinced that the JVC is a better camera in almost every other way, starting with the fact that a true manual lens is much more likely to have the frame and focus you want at any given time. The menus are nicer, the layout is nicer, it takes real batteries, it does real progressive.

If you are particularly concerned about real progressive the JVC is an obvious choice, but search the forum for some tests I did of an HD250 against the Canon in 25F mode. Whether the deinterlacing the canon makes it comparably sharp is a matter of opinion.

The slightly clippy electronic nature of the Canon pictures seal it for me - the JVC is much nicer; you get the impression you can't quite back off the white clipping enough on the XL-H1.

Phil

Hi,

The lens that comes with the JVC is junk - budget for a better one. The canon is vastly better; and I say this as someone who's fairly enthusiastic about the JVC pictures.

I am however convinced that the JVC is a better camera in almost every other way, starting with the fact that a true manual lens is much more likely to have the frame and focus you want at any given time. The menus are nicer, the layout is nicer, it takes real batteries, it does real progressive.

If you are particularly concerned about real progressive the JVC is an obvious choice, but search the forum for some tests I did of an HD250 against the Canon in 25F mode. Whether the deinterlacing the canon makes it comparably sharp is a matter of opinion.

The slightly clippy electronic nature of the Canon pictures seal it for me - the JVC is much nicer; you get the impression you can't quite back off the white clipping enough on the XL-H1.

Phil

What lens would you recommend? I need a zoom lens - primes are awesome, but in the case of this production - impossible!

• Premium Member

Hi,

You don't really want 35mm format lenses, because they won't be set up for a three-chip camera - especially on a chip that size.

You're probably looking at a better HD broadcast lens and a 2/3 to 1/3" adapter - I'm pretty sure such things exist, but I've never needed one so you'd have to check.

The other alternative is some sort of groundglass adaptor and PL mount film primes, which you can at least get off ebay for less than an HD broadcast lens. Personally I find such arrangements to be an unnecessary distraction and a source of flare and softness.

Phil

Guest Trevor Swaim
Actually I take that back! If I do use the primes - wouldn't I need a conversion ring? How would I go about using a prime or a 35mm zoom?

you could use an adapter like the on sold at Letus35.com. I have heard good things about their stuff but have never used any of it. The main thing i dislike about the letus adapter is that it uses only canon or nikon still lenses and has no way to mount a real cine lens. if you can swing it i would by this lens

Edited by Trevor Swaim

you could use an adapter like the on sold at Letus35.com. I have heard good things about their stuff but have never used any of it. The main thing i dislike about the letus adapter is that it uses only canon or nikon still lenses and has no way to mount a real cine lens. if you can swing it i would by this lens

yes I was looking at that wide angle lens too - even tried to see whether it was available for rent in NYC - no luck yet and I can't get the extra 7 quid ... yet at least.

JVC makes an adapter now so that you can use cine and other lens on the camera... around $4k...

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/feature...el_id=MDL101683

Also P & S has a new adpater... coming... not sure if its out yet... that works with both the Canon and the JVC... but costs $8.5k...

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/c7a682995edb4e7...ac?OpenDocument

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It's a great camera. The lens that comes with it works perfectly fine. You also have two other package options. As for cine lenses, JVC makes a fantastic pl mount adapter that allows yo to use both 16mm and 35mm lenses and makes about the best picture I have ever seen. It's one of the best cameras in it's class.