"Sunday" trailer

Please take a minute to view the trailer. Please forgive the encoding of the trailer for the time being.

www.sunday-movie.com

This is my first big project as cinematographer, let alone a feature.

The film was shot on the HVX200 with P+S mini35 adaption and zeiss super speeds.

The shoot took place on location in Montana and lasted for 6 days. 2 days of pick-ups in Los Angeles.

Lighting kit consisted of 4 Arri Juniors, (2) 650s and (2) 300s.

Thanks for your time,

Jeremy

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Jeremy,

Your cinematography looks great, especially some of those tights in the house by the lake. Did you like shooting with the 35mm adapter (RedRock right?)? After watching the trailer I found myself wanting some story but I'm guessing that is coming. What else have you worked on/shot, where are you based out of?

Cheers,

Rod

Imagery looks pretty darn decent. :-)

But I think your big mistake is that its obvious you edited the trailer to show what you could pull off with the HVX....instead

of drawing us in with the story. at this point it just looks like a reel to me.

make me believe !

Edited by ross e lea

• Premium Member

Nice work, Jeremy.

What were your lenses of choice (focal range)? Also, What format did you shoot in?

Last question, what's going on with the edge of the car in the scene where the guy slams the door shut. Looks like heat ripples or something.

Thanks for your comments.

I am currently studying Cinematography at Art Center College of Design in LA. Despite small shorts and class assignments, this is the one big project so far.

As to the trailer content, the idea was to get a trailer out as quickly as possible to get more money for post(the usual story). The sound edit was not complete and the deadline for Sundance was fast approaching. We had 2 1/2 weeks of post to make that deadline. Surely, there will soon be a fuller trailer.

We had a standard package - 18, 25, 35, 50, 85. I was very shallow on any lens I used except for day ext with the 18. Had to keep the lens open as much as possible to hide groundglass in dark situations. Of course there was the struggle of using a very minimal light package when shooting night interiors that are supposed to play as day.

I shot in 720p24 for the entire shoot with (2) 16gig cards. We had a few slow motion shots that I cranked up to 60fps and with Panasonic's converter addendum(found on their website) it looks beautiful.

I was sadly given a lens, the 18, that had a brutal aberration on the the left side. It basically left me with 15% of the frame blurred. My fault for not noticing before taking the lenses.

I learned 100 fold what I have in the classroom in 8 days on set. You can't set an amount on that kind of experience.

Jeremy

Thanks for your comments.

I am currently studying Cinematography at Art Center College of Design in LA. Despite small shorts and class assignments, this is the one big project so far.

As to the trailer content, the idea was to get a trailer out as quickly as possible to get more money for post(the usual story). The sound edit was not complete and the deadline for Sundance was fast approaching. We had 2 1/2 weeks of post to make that deadline. Surely, there will soon be a fuller trailer.

We had a standard package - 18, 25, 35, 50, 85. I was very shallow on any lens I used except for day ext with the 18. Had to keep the lens open as much as possible to hide groundglass in dark situations. Of course there was the struggle of using a very minimal light package when shooting night interiors that are supposed to play as day.

I shot in 720p24 for the entire shoot with (2) 16gig cards. We had a few slow motion shots that I cranked up to 60fps and with Panasonic's converter addendum(found on their website) it looks beautiful.

I was sadly given a lens, the 18, that had a brutal aberration on the the left side. It basically left me with 15% of the frame blurred. My fault for not noticing before taking the lenses.

I learned 100 fold what I have in the classroom in 8 days on set. You can't set an amount on that kind of experience.

Jeremy

The look is amazing, the shots color, framing lighting is smooth and really jumps out has a great feel to it.

Obviously it's easy to get caught up in the technical side, since you are in school have you figured out how to separate the shot being technical and artsy from being functional?

The look is amazing, the shots color, framing lighting is smooth and really jumps out has a great feel to it.

Obviously it's easy to get caught up in the technical side, since you are in school have you figured out how to separate the shot being technical and artsy from being functional?

I think that is an expansive question and can vary from person to person/artist to artist. I have a proclivity toward odd framing and taking risks on lighting and composition. And I will redly admit it was a detriment to some shots in the canon of this film. I am nowhere near proficient enough technically to start expanding on that spectrum. You learn and you learn.

I definitely approach lighting from a narrative standpoint, as I think any DP should, and then build from there. I love working as organically as possible while serving each project accordingly.

This is probably all redundant and general to most seasoned DPs here, though. Either way, those are my thoughts.

Jeremy that looks great, but the trailer doesn't come across that well, the bottom line I have no idea what this movie is about and why I should see it, besides the great cinematography?

Best

Thank you for your comments, Martin. As stated above in the thread, I am fully aware that the trailer does a disservice to the story.

Unfortunately, I don't have much say in the trailer as the DP.