high speed camera..do they all use taylor reels?

kevin jackman

• Site Sponsor
my understanding is that high speed cameras need the film loaded onto something that looks like a large daylight spool. they are called taylor reels

All Redlake or Visual Instrument Hycam cameras need 400' daylight spools and the film for these cameras is usually 500t 7218 on estar base delivered from Kodak on the daylight reels. A hycam will pull a 400' reel in 1.5 sec so a core is potentially troublesome.

I do not think you need daylight reels with a Photosonics.

-Rob-

The Action Master 500 needs daylight spools. The daylight spools in 400ft size that are often used are "split reels" which use regular cores. You are able to order film for High-Speed cameras in 400ft rolls on a daylight spool from Kodak. This is double perf with a long pitch of 0.3000" ... 2R-3000. The Action Master takes either 0.2994" or 0.3000" pitch. Most other High-Speed cameras take long pitch.

Kodak at one time had High-Speed Camera film in 50 ft rolls (2R-3000) mounted on a "Tayloreel Microfilm Spool". Not many takes on that roll! I don't know if Tayloreel still makes the 50ft spool.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Taylor reels don't look like the same as daylight spools. They don't really have to deal with fast-moving film. The issue isn't so much daylight loading as keeping the film running true at high speed. (We used to call the LOCAM medium-speed- high speed for us was up to 10,000fps so the film was moving at 170 mph. 400' of VNF in two seconds flat).

The R-90 (100'), R-190 (200') and the S-153 (400') spools are balanced to run true.

We threw them away by the hundred.