open face daylight light for casting shadows

Saul Rodgar

Has anyone found a type of light that casts nice shadows without any reflector/ lens aberration/ distortion that is daylight balanced at a relatively short distance from light to shadow-casting object? I have been trying arri suns/ jocker/ jocker bug HMI's (up to 1.2 kw) with limited success after much fiddling with. The best results I have had have been with a 5k junior mole tungsten fresnel geled blue with full CTB -placed 100 ft from the subject- but the light temperature is not true 5500k as an HMI's and it gives a green/blue tone. I don't have access to 12k/16k HMI senior lights yet, so you know.

Thanks!

You could try a Leko with a Joker hooked up the back instead of the normal tungsten back. I believe Joker makes the Joker to Leko (Source Four specifically) adapter. But it would depend on what kind of set up you are doing. Source Fours have 19, 26 and 36 degree lenses. Lekos have a relatively small source of like (like the Dedo's) and should provide something clean like, almost like a small spotlight, just not as big as Gladiator or Super Trooper.

Best

Tim

Arri makes a line of "open faced" HMIs called X Lights. They have no lenses other than a safety glass and can accept silver or black reflectors. The black reflector will cost you a bit of output but will give you a harder shadow. Go with the biggest unit you can afford if you're competing with daylight.