ProHD tapes vs MiniDVCAM

Kirill Nersesyan

Guest Trevor Swaim
Is there any serious difference between ProHD tapes and MiniDVCAM tapes when used on the JVC GY-HD111E?

nope, no difference at all

Edited by Trevor Swaim

Guest Trevor Swaim

I have found absolutely zero actual difference in the real world.. the specs may read better but in practice they are the same thing.

I use and have used Panasonic Master Quality for several years (4or more) and have had no problems at all with them either through my HD110 or my old DVX100.

Also in response to mr. graffs rather condescending signature, I too am a person who makes a living in Video, wedding videos to be precise.

Edited by Trevor Swaim

• Premium Member

It's always to use the best tapes you can find as some of the lesser cost tapes have more tendencies for drop outs, etc. I tested a number of tape formulations on a Textronics QC machine that tells you all sorts of things about a tape signal and there was a considerable difference in tape formulations. When you only get one chance to get it right, I'd rather pay a few dollars more for the insurance. In broadcast TV a hit is never acceptable so best to do everything one can to make sure it all gets recorded properly. I think the key as the last poster pointed out is to use what works best for you and make sure to stick with it.

As for my signature, Since I don't work as one position in the working world, I figure I'd simply say working professional, not hobbyist. If someone takes that as condescending then that is more about them, not me. It isn't meant to be condescending. One of the problems with conversations on the web. Words by themselves mean little in a face to face conversation because they are a smaller part of the two bigger parts of a conversation, voice tone and body language, but by themselves, folks can bring all sorts of meanings to them that aren't there.

• 8 months later...
Is there any serious difference between ProHD tapes and MiniDVCAM tapes when used on the JVC GY-HD111E?

Brand name tapes are best to stick with. Use the company that gives you the best results with other cameras.

I have found no difference with ProHD tapes and MiniDV.

Cost is the only real issue. If there is going to be a drop out on the tape it will be less on a ProHD tape.

But a drop out is a drop out and will ruin a shot regardless, and will show up on both ProHD and MiniDV tapes.

So I shoot on Brand name MiniDV tapes knowing that the vision will be the same as ProHD for $30AUD less.

Cheers Greg

www.visionwrangler.com.au www.nanook.com.au

Edited by Greg Connors

• 8 months later...

I must agree with Walter. In my own experience when I've used regular mini dv tapes I have oftentimes gotten "artifacts" at different positions of the emulsion. Then again, I look for every detail, and some people might not. I have never got that problem with the higher quality tapes, which I must agree are more expensive but 100% better quality. When I shoot features or documentaries I make sure I walk the extra mile. It is YOUR IMAGE that will reflect your choice. I would stick with the higher quality tapes. I have had good experience with the other tapes but you are certainly taking a risk and in my experience it is not worth it.