Super16 lenses to test?

Matt Irwin

I have a low-budget project coming soon that takes place in a midieval tavern lit with oil lamps, candles, and a fireplace. I don't plan to use these as the only sources, but I do need some lenses that can handle the point flares of candles without producing double flares and ghosting.

I'd like to test some primes or a zoom, something that will not cost a fortune to rent...

The new Ultra primes may be out of price range, but how about SK4's? Zooms?

Anyone have experience with this situation?

Shooting Super16, stock TBD.

• Premium Member

I have to say as a pretty prolific 16mm shooter (that's all the budget can afford on music videos in the UK), the new Zeiss Ultra 16 T1.3's are the only ones I want to shoot with these days. The 8, 9,5, 12 and 14mm are outstandingly sharp wide open. They completely trash the old Superspeed T1.3's.

So if you're going for low light levels and practicals in shot, I recommend them highly.

As a complete side note, the Optex 5,5mm that has been a staple for years in the 16mm world as a ultra wide angle, is complete disgrace when it comes to sharpness. It's abysmal. This only became really noticeable when compared to the new Ultra 16 primes. Before, when compared to the rather soft Superspeeds it didn't seem so bad, so it got away with murder.

I haven't used them but I tried to get them for my last job and they were unavailable, so I hesitate to suggest something I haven't used but have you looked at the Elite primes. Ultra primes aren't available here in Melbourne (that Ive seen) and nearly everything I've worked on has used Superspeeds. I understand they rent for quite a competitive price (at least here) so they might be worth testing.

Again, I don't work for them and haven't used them but I am planning to test them against superspeeds on my next gig in November. I hope this helps and maybe you should have a look at them, they caught my attention.

Thank you Adam and A.

After hearing that, I will see what kind of price I can get for the Ultra Primes. I've been dying to try them out anyway.

Again, I don't work for them and haven't used them but I am planning to test them against superspeeds on my next gig in November.

I've heard of the Elite primes, but haven't heard anything about them. If you remember, would you be willing to post the results of your test? My shoot is in December, so it could still be helpful.

Many thanks,