P2 Cards

Guest Allyn Laing

Guest Allyn Laing

I may have missed this in the user information but how long does it take to download a;

- 16gb card

- 8gb card

Is it faster to download a P2 card straight into a computer via a PCM card slot?(found in laptops)

I'm told it is approx 1min p/gb T/F?

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if the capture rate has an impact.

I just shot 720/30Pn over the weekend and was able to dump data from my 16g card in just over 9 minutes to the client's 7200 rpm LaCie from my Powerbook G4.

The card was completely full. This is the fastest I've transferred data. Cable length was about 3 feet.

It's typically been taking me just just under a minute/gig. I usually capture at 720/24Pn

• 1 month later...

I'm assisting on a feature at the moment, using 8GB cards, which we are transferring via a card reader to a laptop (MacBook Pro) as they fill up. The transfer rate is around 7-10 minutes per card, so about 1GB a minute is about right.

Backing up to the laptop harddrive and an external drive simultaneously seems to save a few minutes when compared to doing each individually.

• 3 months later...
I can report that using a Dual Adapter to express card also speeds things up a good deal, depending on your hardware.

I have the Duel Adapter and I have found that it'll DL to an internal hard drive slightly faster than realtime. If you go to an external Firewire 800 drive it's just slightly slower than realtime.

• Premium Member

One of the things Panasonic trumpet about P2 is the speed - apparently a design minimum of 640Mbps, which should be sixteen times realtime for 720p24 material.

Most people don't have USB 2.0 set up correctly on their computers, which will limit things, and many laptops lack the internal architecture to pull data off PCMCIA cards that fast anyway. It's not surprising to find real-world speeds at fractions - even single-digit percentages - of the theoretical.

Phil

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
I can report that using a Dual Adapter to express card also speeds things up a good deal, depending on your hardware.

I've been using my 8GB cards for a while and offloading directly from my camera to an ext. hard drive, such as a Lacie, but doing that

although relatively quick and easy, ties up the camera and cuts the drive into 15 partitions, so that often a lot of drive space is unusable.

The rest of the time, I'm usually on a shoot on which I can hand off the cards to somebody who's in charge of offloading them in whatever way that production has set up.

I have a new MacBookPro (2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM) but it does not have FinaL Cut Pro, or any other NLE system

on it that can read/capture HD.

If I get the Duel Adaptor, what else would I need to take the footage from the P2 card to an external hard drive? Since I won't have an NLE with a

capture capability, what would be the best (in terms of speed, quality, simplicity, cost) piece of equipment since I believe that I do need one more

piece?

Thanks!