How do I film a grehound running?

Christopher Joyce

• Premium Member

Simply back up your camera. Using a longer lens and some distance from the subject you can easily track a greyhound close up as it runs from a distance without all the tracks, ATV, helicopters, etc that have been suggested. You can shoot from various angles including strait on, side, and three quarters and get some great footage. I did this some years ago and the results were fantastic without interfering with the animal running.

Simply back up your camera. Using a longer lens and some distance from the subject you can easily track a greyhound close up as it runs from a distance without all the tracks, ATV, helicopters, etc that have been suggested. You can shoot from various angles including strait on, side, and three quarters and get some great footage. I did this some years ago and the results were fantastic without interfering with the animal running.

Thats another excellent low budgie idea! thanks!

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me where I can find a diagram on rigging the cable for a cable cam that will support myself and the camera? I need to know what type and diameter of cable is necessary, and what type of hardware is needed to fasten it safely. The span will be approximately one hundred feet, and it will hover two hundred feet above the ground.

Thanks,

Phillip

Edited by Phillip Evanesce

Can anyone tell me where I can find a diagram on rigging the cable for a cable cam that will support myself and the camera? I need to know what type and diameter of cable is necessary, and what type of hardware is needed to fasten it safely. The span will be approximately one hundred feet, and it will hover two hundred feet above the ground.

This is the funniest question I've ever read on this website.

Aerial Camera Systems (ACS) or Camera Corps in the UK have the most experience in your area with high speed stuff. Assuming that you have pots of money a cable system will be the best way to go. But of course they're all extremely loud, in addition to expensive and time-consuming to set up. I'd agree with multiple camera vantage points, including towers and jib arms to give you more height and flexibility.

Thanks,

Phillip

this is a joke, right?

I little background before you all get carried away with the insults.

I have been a serious climber and rope rigger for twenty years, so it's not as though I have no perspective on the subject. What I am trying to find out is the user specs on cable commonly used for this application, and I want to know which fastening systems have proven safest and most effective for this purpose.

If you don't have the answer, then maybe it's best to keep the snide comments to yourselves. I guess I expected more from a pro forum.

Phillip,

Climbing and rope rigging is different than rigging cable and cable cams. The High tensions required for cable is very dangerous. And expensive.

I suggest you talk to Harry Donovan, or Jay Glerum. Harry donvoan wrote the book on rigging. They would be the people to talk to.

Openly I must say that what you are attempting should be considered with utmost gravity of the consequences of your actions. I am NOT saying that it is Impossible but why go through recreating the years of experience that Aerial camera systems have poured into the subject rather than hiring a professional to do it.

An internet forum is not the place for this question. Answering it opens up all involved into serious legal responsiblity issues.

Phillip,

Climbing and rope rigging is different than rigging cable and cable cams. The High tensions required for cable is very dangerous. And expensive.

I suggest you talk to Harry Donovan, or Jay Glerum. Harry donvoan wrote the book on rigging. They would be the people to talk to.

Openly I must say that what you are attempting should be considered with utmost gravity of the consequences of your actions. I am NOT saying that it is Impossible but why go through recreating the years of experience that Aerial camera systems have poured into the subject rather than hiring a professional to do it.

An internet forum is not the place for this question. Answering it opens up all involved into serious legal responsiblity issues.

Thank you for answering my question, Robert, which was to find a source of information.

Under average circumstances, I would simply hire a pro. My situation is that I will be using this shooting technique quite often, and with small budgets, so it really seems worth my while to learn how to rig them.

Thanks again for the resource.

Phillip

Sounds to me like the lip-camera strapped to the hare as the most probable on your budget.

I would add the advice of ramping up your FPS so that you can achieve a more 'gracious' look to the dogs' movements....elephants are normally shot at 60fps.

Good luck!

Cheers

• 1 month later...