Cooke Varotal 20-100mm t3.1 zoom

Hey can anyone comment on the Cooke Varotal 20-100mm t3.1 zoom? I am shooting a period piece in the next few weeks and am considering using that as my work horse lens. Any thoughts on whether that would look good, or be too soft? Also has anyone used Canon Cine lenses?

steve

• Premium Member

It's a decent zoom, especially if you can stop it down a little. Wide open, the sharpness falls off a little and there is a faint portholing (darkening around the sides, barely visible.) Doesn't breathe as much as many other zooms. Cuts well with older primes.

It's a decent zoom, especially if you can stop it down a little. Wide open, the sharpness falls off a little and there is a faint portholing (darkening around the sides, barely visible.) Doesn't breathe as much as many other zooms. Cuts well with older primes.

I wouldn't want to stop down past a 4, at that stop would it be sufficiently sharp? also, how would it cut with Zeiss t2.1 standard speeds?

steve

• Premium Member
I wouldn't want to stop down past a 4, at that stop would it be sufficiently sharp? also, how would it cut with Zeiss t2.1 standard speeds?

steve

It cuts pretty well, not quite as snappy in terms of contrast, but close enough for most projects. T/4 would be fine, but T/5.6 even better (like when outdoors.) My second feature in 1993 was all shot on Zeiss Super-Speeds and the Cooke 5:1 zoom and it all cut together fine.

Having so much more glass in it than a prime, you'll see more contrast loss when pointing the zoom into bright windows, for example.