Matte boxes and french flags

Yeah, isn't building a matte box an option? For us truly beginning filmmakers who are willing to buy some parts and make a functional matte box (that somehow allows filters to be inserted), isn't there some design that we can make? Im sure it would save a lot of money. Anyone heard of something like this?

• Premium Member

Hi,

The shade is easy. Securely holding the filters isn't; even on cheaper options like mine, this is a major tangle of precision-machined metal. Probably possible to hacksaw something reasonable out of some bits of 3/16" plate, with sufficient care, and bolt it all together in a stack.

Phil

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but - stop in to cinetactics.com and look over the MatteBlox system. I bought a complete kit with the oversized French Flag for my Sony PDX-10 DVCam camera a while back. Has been very helpful as the cam is susceptable to vert smear.

I have recently been talking to the folks there about building a framework of sorts to hold the soft box so it doens't make physical attachment to the lens. Why? I have a Canon 814 AutoZoom Super 8 and the lens barrel rotates with zoom and focus. Hard to keep the box on straight if the lens is rotating. In video this usually isn't an issue. Still, for around $200 it makes a great tool.

Sean McHenry