Diamonte watch

G McMahon

Hey All,

Shooting a spot with a fake diamond watch. How can I make the fake diamonds sparkle in the close ups ? I hold the watch a certain angles and it shimmers only on one diamond, not several.

Thanks all

HD people, please look at my question I posted there, thanks

Thank you, I think I will print this out and show it to the director for security.

I can't determine in my limited pre prod time whether to play with numerous point sources or fairy lights,or a single soft source. Time permitting, I will play.

Thanks,

• Premium Member

With a multi-faceted diamond surface, you would normally want multiple point sources to hit it to increase the number of glints. Dedolights are good for this. You'll notice that display cases often use a spotty MR-16 globe to light diamonds. The only problem with fairy lights, Christmas tree lights, is the intensity might not be enough to get a real flare from the glinting surface.

Net diffusion or some sort of scratch filter or star filter will spread the glints along the lines in the filter.

Of course, you're lighting a watch, not a diamond ring, which may look better in a soft light.

• Premium Member
I can't determine in my limited pre prod time whether to play with numerous point sources or fairy lights,or a single soft source.

I've seen people shine a dedo into crinkled shiny aluminum foil or something, then have someone hand rotate the foil all around to get many different moving reflections on the different angles of the diamond. It's pretty common actually. I think they called it the "skinkle" light or something.