high speed B&H Filmo

Jeremy Rumas

I recently found out about the 128 fps version of the Bell and Howell Filmo. It was a modified version of the Filmo. Does anyone have any experience shooting with one of these? How does the footage look?

It does not have pin registration I know, or reflex viewfinder. I am considering this as an inexpensive way to acquire slow motion footage. And I love the idea of a 128fps camera that has a hand wound motor. Would be great for traveling with.

-Jeremy

I have a Kodak K100 which has an exceedingly long wind (40 or more seconds at 24 fps), but typical windup cameras run for much less time. At 128fps, a camera that runs for 30 seconds at 24fps would last a mere 5.6 seconds.

True, but when played back it will stretch that 5.6 seconds into 30 seconds. And not many shots needs to last more than 30 seconds on screen for my project. Thanks for the input though.

• 11 years later...

Responding to this ancient thread - I just acquired one of these Filmo "Superspeed" cameras. They weren't actually a modification, but a version of the camera that Bell & Howell made in (presumably) smaller numbers than the standard Filmo. I found a manual online which says that the full spring wind will shoot 15 feet of film at 128 fps.

My camera came with a motor, but I'm more interested in shooting with the spring wind (at least for the first tests I'm going to shoot).

• 10 months later...