28mm vs 35mm. If could only buy 3 different sizes, what would they be for a feature?

I can buy 3 lenses for my m2 and hvx-200, I am buying all nikons still slr lenses fyi.

What 3 would everyone recommend, I am shooting a feature with plenty of wide shots, and internal shots, the whole mix...

Here is what I am considering;

lense 1.

f 2.8 28mm

or

f 1.4 35mm

lense 2 and 3

f 1.4 50mm

or

f 2.0 85mm

or

f 2.5 105mm

To me the the 28mm seems a bit slow at f 2.8, am I better off with a 35mm at 1.4? I really do need all the light I can get.

Heres a link to all the nikkon lenses available.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

• Premium Member

Given those choices, I would take the 28, the 50 and the 85. They represent a nice wide, normal, and long lens. f2.8 isn't that fast but that just means you'll have to light up to at least a 2.8. No big deal. I think it's important to have since you say you have interiors, and I assume if you're using a redrock that you don't have sets with wild walls.

Another thing you might take into consideration is how much these particular lenses breath. My experience is that most lenses designed for still cameras breath like crazy to the point of being unuseable unless you can avoid changes in focus during the shot.

24mm, doesnt that tend to bend straight lines?? I didnt even know they made those lenses.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

I guess those are only new right, and I should go to ebay then for used, but I dont want scratches on my lens or mold or dust, kind of risky on ebay right?

The 24mm has been around for quite awhile but they do show up used once from time to time. Like all photo lenses they are not as solidly constructed as cine lenses but they are more solid than the AF lenses.

Perhaps it's personal taste but I've always had a dislike for the 28mm unless absolutely necessary - seems like a "bastard" focal length between 24mm and 35mm.

I always like to test lenses before purchase because there really is so much at stake.

• 2 weeks later...

I myself use my 24mm f2.8 more than the 28mm F2.8 because I need it wider if I want to crop my footage later in post to 1:85:1 or 2:35:1 figures. Having the 24mm just gives more information in my final output. I also shoot 35mm f2.0 for my normal shots then use 85mm for telephoto and for extremes I use my 135mm f2 for those closeups. My 3 I would pick is 24mm,35mm and 85mm.

I'd go with the 35, 50 and 85. Your basic lens set is 35, 50 and 75 for most 35mm packages and the lenses you're looking at are fast lenses with gives you even more flexibility. I feel with that combination you could hand most lighting situations, bright daylight, ambient lit interiors and everything in between. If they're PL mounts, you can always rent a 28mm and/or 105mm slow lens should the occasion arise.....which it probably won't. I honestly can't see why you would want to even consider the slower lenses when you're budget limits you to buying only one lens. B)