Fostex fr2le field recorder alternative? Cheap recording methods?

Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez

Hows it going.

Im about to buy a fostx fr2-le field recorder, but thats a good $500.

Anyone know of any generic, maybee usb driven high quality recorder for under $300? Something I can buy at radio shack, best buy?

If not, guess expensive is the only way to go right?

I could record straight to the camera, but that may interfere with my steadycam and crane work i think.

I think I found a $300 recorder, does it do the basic stuff a fostex can do? Please advise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s_promot_widget

Edited by Clint Nitkiewicz Hernandez

• 3 weeks later...
What gets me about this is that you think $500 is expensive for a production audio recorder...

Phil

Hmmm. Yes. $500 is not expensive really.....same with mics.

Try to save up a bit more money and buy something you can use without frustration and won't want to toss out the window.

In the end, I think that might be the less expensive route.

If it's any consolation, think about what these tools cost 20 years ago.

• Premium Member

Well, even an FR-2 is not known for having spectacularly good microphone amplifiers (they're noisy enough that the 24-bit recording mode is pointless unless you're using an offboard amp).

As for what the "minimum" is, for reasonably presentable, professional work it's going to be an FR2 or something like it - I believe Edirol have comparable devices. Up from that is the Sound Devices stuff, or a Fostex PD-6. Then there's the Aaton Cantar, which is... a lot of money.

Phil

Since you almost certainly don't have that requirement...

Phil

Im not sure whether your telling me Im to stupid to know why I would need a Preamp like an SD MM1 302 0R an SD mixpre for example OR that Im never going to make anything professional enough to warrant proper equipment All I did was ask your opinion and why. Personally I think the FR2 is not a great choice for clear audio either.

Edited by Mark Collins

• Premium Member

You're certainly too stupid to spell "too" properly, which I think says a lot.

Or "you're".

Or "I'm".

My response was in good faith. You suggested the FR-2 is "nothing more than a bit-bucket", which is neither correct nor anywhere near what I said.

I have just finished cutting two documentaries which both used FR-2 audio to great effect. I've already told you if you need perfect quality 24-bit audio you would look elsewhere but that you probably don't need that - I know I don't. People are still recording TV series on Nagras, for crying out loud.

Now it's one thing to take offence at something someone's said, but quite another to take offence at something someone hasn't said. Now run along and jump enthusiastically to a few more conclusions and you might get yourself into some more amusing scrapes. My opinion, since you ask, is that you are a dullard.

OK Phil. You're right I thought you were being offensive when you were not and I accept you're criticism. You're saying the FR2 is fine as a minimum level recorder but not good enough for crystal clear 24 bit audio. OK thats what I wanted to know.

• 3 years later...

OK Phil. You're right I thought you were being offensive when you were not and I accept you're criticism. You're saying the FR2 is fine as a minimum level recorder but not good enough for crystal clear 24 bit audio. OK thats what I wanted to know.

Ok, ladies... cutting to the chase...

I have the same dillema. I'm in between a Fostex PD-6 (F**#$@ing expensive for me), or and Edirol R-4 Pro used, for US$ 600.

It's for use in professional filmmaking, as the cameras I will use are all ultra 16mm, I think it's fair enought to get the best in sound I could buy, for the best price, of course.

What would you guys advice, peeeleeease?

Thanks,

F

• Premium Member

I'm sure most of them are pretty fine. The only hard things to get in the cheap stuff are either timecode or phantom power for microphones - the tiny, cheap M-Audio Microtrack II was probably the only one of the really pocket-sized things to offer phantom power on balanced TRS inputs, and I think the Fostex stuff is probably cheapest timecode option (I'm not sure if the LE has a timecode option). If you have mics that can use internal batteries and don't need timecode, there are many very small, very cheap things you could use, although I'm not sure how good their mic amps are.

For instance:

http://www.reddogmus...6-Recorders.htm

P

• Premium Member

Sound Devices USB Pre 2, $650 at BH Photovideo. Very high quality mike preamps, great monitoring, robust construction.

I use one with an Acer Netbook but it'll work with any modern computer/laptop/netbook with USB 2 inputs.

Best "Bang for the Buck" software is Sony Sound Forge Studio 10 at $50.00, it'll record stereo at 24bit/192kHz if you need absolute top quality.

The oldest marketing scam in the audio industry is building a piece of consumer gear, glueing XLR connectors on it, and loudly proclaiming it as being PROFESSIONAL!!! For instance: Denon takes their good quality proconsumer CD players (DN-C615), moves the buttons around on the front panel, adds a little add-in pc board with a single chip amplifier and XLR connectors on it and charges an additional $250 for their "professional" DN-C635 model. Internally they use exactly the same CD deck, power supply, and main circuit board.

• Premium Member

To the OP, for less that $300 I purchased a while back one TASCAM DR-100. I sometimes record audio for different things, and wanted something very portable with the ability to record uncompressed. I personally use 48Khz @ 24bit recording. Now I don't know if it's for real actual 24bit, but sure seems that way. It also has the ability to do 96k @ 24bit... if you need that, and can do MP3 stuff, which I despise and shall not speak on.

The TASCAM has runs off a rechargeable battery AND/OR 2-AA type, has 4 built in microphones (some work better than others), and two TSR/XLR connections with 48v phantom power. Each channel in stereo mode is actually two separate channels instead of some weird computer phase blend, and you have the ability to record mono if you wish. It does not have the ability to sync/slave with a camera timecode, but a good head/tale slate should be fine. Now I know it doesn't have any of those Neav 1073's that the professional people use in the desert recording audio for Ben Hur or whatever, but it sounds ok to me. (That's a little bit of a joke...)

I'm actually going to use this recorder in mono mode with a nice shotgun in my next production, just to see what the quality difference is between it and my tape machine.

If I had the money for a Nagra, I'd buy one, but I have to pick and choose sometimes. I think it's a fantastic little recorder for the money. It may not have all the fancy awesomeness and thousands of years of service life in holy-wood, but it works for me.

I am very interested to see how the little TASCAM performs in real world.

http://tascam.com/product/dr-100/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

lol, HEY, discussing options for low end recorders is always viable, too many film makers nowadays throw their money into the vision and then forget about audio, and then wonder why the ultra wide shot done with a videomic doesnt have particularly good sound.

I use a dr-100 as my backup option, when I know I don't need to lug around my fostex. It's a great little machine, the only thing that gets me is the fact that I can't find a charger for the li-ion battery for the life of me (it isn't included... which is really odd) and it absolutely smashes through AA batts. I figured out it only used about the top 70% of the batteries before asking to spit them out. Also i find the preamp a little soft can't seem to get much out of it until I bump up the gain to Hi (don't know what that is in db atm, can't be bothered pulling it out of the case). The onboard mic i fine for interviews as well, I've found.

anyway, if you're an aspiring soundie, rather than someone who is getting a recorded just in case, you probably should invest in a better recorder and keep it forever, while you work your way in than getting something small and finding you need timecode and more than 2 inputs very quickly into your new career.

Im a bit of a fostex fanboy, so might I suggest the PD204? or possibly the sound devices 552 (seems really popular from what I've seen atm).

Sound Devices USB Pre 2, $650 at BH Photovideo. Very high quality mike preamps, great monitoring, robust construction.

Best "Bang for the Buck" software is Sony Sound Forge Studio 10 at $50.00, it'll record stereo at 24bit/192kHz if you need absolute top quality.

Hal,

Great information - very useful! By the way, I really enjoy reading your posts. You always manage to stay positive and provide helpful and informative material.

best regards,

-Jerry Murrel

DP

Little Rock

• 1 month later...

Hey Clint, I own Zoom H4n and it can record WAV file up to 96kHz/24bit, and it costs 299 dollars. Also has 2 XLR inputs and built-in phantom power (although you might need to plug it to the adapter for an extensive usage time, because it runs on 2 AA batteries).

Overall its a great product for the price. If you are thinking of something even better, then you'd have to go after something else...