Camera Assistant Education

Hello everyone

This is my first time posting....I have been reading the threads for sometime....it is so informative and inspiring.

Here's my deal.

Started out as a stills photographer...love film...did not make the digital switch, although it is creeping in a bit. Still love the darkroom and the sound of a real film camera.

Decided I wanted to get involved in film and see my images moving. I was looking for a freelance skill to add to my photography and drink slinging and to get more involved in the technical side of filmaking. I ended up taking an editing course which led to an assistant editing gig...I have now been editing for 3 years. I have been working primarily on commercials. This has been a great experience on many levels and I have learned loads. This knowledge can only be helpful in the field.

I have been a camera assitant on a few HD shoots and have shot some behind the scenes footage for the clients we currently work with.

Now, I am dying to get out of the edit bay and shoot more. I am looking for a place that I can get my hands on the cameras, learn to load film, and hone my skills as a knowledgable AC. I have looked into the Maine workshops and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the AC workshop there or if anyone can suggest somewhere here in NY that I can get my hands (along with instruction) on the cameras so I can actually start persuing jobs.

I am willing to work for free but feel that a bit of a proper education regarding the cameras and loading can be helpful.

Any thoughts????

Would appreciate any response.

Thanks

Lauren

• Premium Member

Work at a rental house is hard to beat for the technical knowledge education. Other than that, try and find a loader gig and learn from the other ACs you work with.

Doug Hart's book has a lot of good procedural-type stuff for loading and working as an AC. I'd recommend that read.

Work at a rental house is hard to beat for the technical knowledge education. Other than that, try and find a loader gig and learn from the other ACs you work with.

Doug Hart's book has a lot of good procedural-type stuff for loading and working as an AC. I'd recommend that read.

thanks! do you think a workshop is worth it or the field is the way to go to for all the additional aspects of AC knowledge I need?

Lauren

• Premium Member
thanks! do you think a workshop is worth it or the field is the way to go to for all the additional aspects of AC knowledge I need?

Lauren

I went to the maine AC workshop but somebody else paid for it. I think you can learn everything you need about ACing by doing it and reading.

I went to the maine AC workshop but somebody else paid for it. I think you can learn everything you need about ACing by doing it and reading.

I agree. I preparred myself for my first AC job by reading about the job and knowing the camera that I will be working with.

We were shooting on Viper and I read the manual before going out on the field... just so I had all the kinks worked out in my head.

• Premium Member
I agree. I preparred myself for my first AC job by reading about the job and knowing the camera that I will be working with.

We were shooting on Viper and I read the manual before going out on the field... just so I had all the kinks worked out in my head.

How is the viper to work with, anyway? I've never had the chance to even ahve my hands on one.

How is the viper to work with, anyway? I've never had the chance to even ahve my hands on one.

I really enjoyed my time working with the Viper. Check out "Day Under Fire" on National Geographic. It airs 10/27/07 at 10p E. All footage shot in HD, most of it is Viper.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

A lot depends on how you learn. Some folks can read books and absorb and retain the information. Some folks need to be hands-on to really learn something. The working at a rental house route is a good one, and a great way to really learn the camera systems. I'd give the Maine workshops high marks as well, although it's not nearly long enough to really learn the job.