"Fifth Street"

Guest Stephen Murphy

Beautiful yet daring, as always Stephen.

Not good to hear about your story with the lab, but at least it was all sorted at the end, and with no casualties.

Take care,

Andy

This is nothing new. It happened when they were testing what became the "Orion Slave Girl" makeup on Star Trek too.

I think it is best to write a note, and make sure the colorist gets it, when doing anything that is unexpected or not of the norm, because I recall the reaction of the colorist in "Trek" was supposedly "Oh, no! They screwed up this footage when they developed it! I need t compensate." So it isn't necessarily the colorist trying to ruin your work, more that the colorist is perceiving the look as "wrong" and trying desperately to correct it back to "normal."

Unfortunately this is more the fault of so many shoots playing it safe than the fault of the colorist. People become used to conventions and norms in any field of work, even artistic fields.

That having been said, I think it's great to see a high-con. saturated look. Everything has gotten so flat these days it is nice to see that sort of punchiness. Almost hearkens back to a '60s film or even Technicolor. Wonderfully done!

Guest Stephen Murphy
Good article, Stephen. Was the telecined Digi Beta the source for the DI? After the DI, did the short go to tape or a film print?

Hi Emmanuel,

The Digibeta was just used for the offline - The neg was scanned at 2K for the DI and mastered to HDcam SR.

Hi Karl,

Unfortunately in this case the transfer Colourist ignored the extensive notes he was sent, along with the greyscale. I havent worked with him/them since thankfully!

Thanks for reading the interview guys!

S

Seriously, I have resorted to shooting a note immediately before the color chart, reading something along the lines of: "Dear colorist, the following color chart is for you NOT to ignore!

I also take digital stills on set and color correct them in Photoshop, which are sent digitally or on print (along with written instructions) to the colorist for reference. It can be tricky to make sure the prints translate to paper or that the digital files look similar to what I saw on my monitor on his end, but so it far has worked. Anyone who ignores those two instructions I don't want to ever work with again.

• 2 months later...
Guest Stephen Murphy
Hi stephen,

i know its an old post but just checked out the trailer and wondered whether there was a way I could pick up the film? Would be great to see more UK talent doing well

Keep it up

Hi Edmund,

Its still doing the rounds at Festivals so its not online or on dvd yet but if you're interested there's a 90 second clip of reasonable online quality here

http://vimeo.com/3471547

Thanks for watching!

The clip looks great. Especially like the fan effect you described earlier with the purple light subtly accentuated by nice sound design.

Let us know when we can get our hands on it and if you're ever on another shoot in London and need a hand would be great to help out.

Keep up the good work

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stephen,

This piece looks great! I love the colors, especially the mixture of the yellow and 1/2 plus green. I'm wondering what your shutter angle was on that fight scene in the airplane hanger? I know you mention putting it to 45 degrees for the rain stuff, but it also looks pretty skinny in the hanger, but maybe to a lesser degree. Did you change it from 180?

Guest Stephen Murphy
Stephen,

This piece looks great! I love the colors, especially the mixture of the yellow and 1/2 plus green. I'm wondering what your shutter angle was on that fight scene in the airplane hanger? I know you mention putting it to 45 degrees for the rain stuff, but it also looks pretty skinny in the hanger, but maybe to a lesser degree. Did you change it from 180?

Hi Alex - Im pretty sure we shot that sequence at a 45 degree angle as well.

• 2 months later...