Emulating motion blur from 80s video

As ugly as just about everything of early-mid 80s video was, the light tails (especially on hot lights) is something strangely attractive. Does anyone know if its possible to reproduce this on film-- it may be something akin to a slower shutter, the equivalent of streaks but if so, that's not what I'm looking for. It seems like something inherent in the format and it was "corrected" to give video a sharper look but I was wondering if anyone knows the technical reason behind it-- tape stock, processor, lens?

It was done on Boogie Nights-- I'd have to go back and watch the commentary again (I think PTA talks about it) but it loooks like someone stole my copy. Hmmm.... Anyway, I'm pretty sure he just went out and got his hands on vintage tapes and cameras though.

Lastly, what about post? Again, it seems like something that must be done in (or in front of) the camera but hey, they're doing wonders recreating each and every fault inherent in each and every medium, so why not nasty video?

Edited by Stephen Alexander Griebel

• Premium Member
<br />You could probably pull a luminence key of the brightest highlights in post and perhaps apply heavy noise/grain reduction, which would cause it to lag, then overlay that back over the original.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Yea but none of this will give you the true lag effect. It wasn't just lag it was a combination of lag and bloom and often that meant an effect that was very analog looking and not linear as these attempts would create. Just looked on Ebay. Some pro three tubers for $40. You want lag. It doesn't get any better or easier.

Try this... but it's a post approach.

Take the footage into your composite software and extract the red channel and copy it to a new layer. Play with the levels so that the rest of the red in the frame disappear. In theory, you should have the luma key for your tail lights. Place this over a red layer/node. Add your 3rd party motion blur.

Remember, the shape of the comet tail is also determined by the shape of the source light. Newer LED tail lights will look different than the older incandescent bulbs with hot spots.