CANON K-35 Macro Zoom

Mike Medavoy

Hello!

I am looking into purchasing a Canon K35 macro zoom lens (25-120).

Did anybody had a firsthand experience with this lens? Is it sharp enough for today's standards? Espcially when wide open? Is the macro good on this lens?

How does it compare with the older Cooke 20-100, for example? (an old zoom but who is still more than acceptable today)

Any info/advice on this particular lens would be greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Mike

Did anybody had a firsthand experience with this lens? Is it sharp enough for today's standards? Espcially when wide open? Is the macro good on this lens?

While not having first hand experience with it, I do recall the AC article about it and companion lenses which, unfortuneately, never seemed to get past the prototype stage,

The Motion Picture Research Council commissioned Canon to develop some anamorphic zooms.

When the Council found out that Canon was using florite elements, they requested a spherical zoom too.

That was this one.

The Council's tests showed that over most of its range it was equal in quality to the Super Balters.

At the time those were considered THE lenses.

The spherical went into production.

The anamorphics had relatively compact 40-135mm & 60-200 macro zooms and a 30mm that focused to a half of a meter! A terrible shame they wound up in lens limbo.

The macro on all of the zooms focused extremely close, as in the 12-120mm & 12.5-75 mm Canon Macrozooms.

• Premium Member
While not having first hand experience with it, I do recall the AC article about it and companion lenses which, unfortuneately, never seemed to get past the prototype stage,

The companion lenses to this zoom are the K35 primes. They cut together perfectly.

Hello,

Thanks for the lens' background.

Also, I do own the K35 primes, that is why I am looking into purchasing the zoom also.

I am most interested in the lens performance. Is it sharp? Does it breath (acceptably?) Does is stay sharp when wide-open? (like the primes)

I would again appreciate any advice from anyone who has used this lens in the past.

Thanks!

PS I am also interested to know if the zoom covers the 35mm still photography area. The primes do.

• Premium Member
No one has experience with this lens?...

I own one. As you've stated that you already have a set of K35 primes, I'll reiterate the bottom line that no zoom, regardless of make or vintage, will intercut with those primes as well as the K35. Mine is not for sale. (However, don't let that stop you from making a seriously generous offer by e-mail.)

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Thanks for the lens' background.

Also, I do own the K35 primes, that is why I am looking into purchasing the zoom also.

I am most interested in the lens performance. Is it sharp? Does it breath (acceptably?) Does is stay sharp when wide-open? (like the primes)

I would again appreciate any advice from anyone who has used this lens in the past.

Thanks!

PS I am also interested to know if the zoom covers the 35mm still photography area. The primes do.

Did you ever figure this out?

-Ryan

• 3 years later...