I know you can't buy them, but...

Jonny Brady

Looking on this website now...

http://www.voicefilms.com/Voice_Films/crea...efequipment.htm

It says that "This camera is worth a whopping one million dollars." That's not true, is it?

Because I mean, an Arri 435 is something like 150-200,000 is it not? And I saw a video on Youtube of Panavision at some convention, and it was a demonstration of one of their cameras, just a standard 35mm - and in the description it mentioned the price "150-300,000 dollars" (even though you can't buy them)...

Just curious

• Premium Member

(OT warning) Here's the last photo from that website (www.voicefilms.com). If a crew packed up my van by tossing gear in willy-nilly like this, I'd be having a major hissy fit.

equipment13.jpg

If it's my gear I want to keep it looking good, if it's rental gear I want the company to know that I take good care of their equipment, and if it's borrowed gear I'd be ashamed to return it with any new scrapes, scratches, or bruises.

• Premium Member

I had the same thought, Hal!

I once made a Direct Cinema documentary back in 1996 about a group of HFF Munich film students making their first serious private full-scale production, observing them from casting to screening. The way they treated the rented brand-new SR3 (DOP to AC: "Hmm, 'Pitch Adjust'. Dunno, shall we play around with that or better not? What do you think?"), the lenses (one Zeiss prime's front lens got scratched by a Maglite when they tried to check for dirt on it), the Panther dolly, the Nagra (or rather what remained of the Nagra ? they managed to break off one spool arm! No clue how they achieved that, Swiss-made as it is), plus the entire approach to filmmaking was just ... well ... formidable material for a documentary. My original 20 minute project ballooned into a 122 minutes "grand format" documentary as the "story" unfolded.

Back to the hyperlinked website in the OP, however: what I find particularly enlightening is the intrigueing perspective of quality increments that manifests in the author's comment that the Panaflex's "...picture [...] is absolutely phenomenal. When I saw the developed film I could hardly believe my eyes. This makes my top of the line DV camera look like a Hi-8 camcorder from 1987..."

What is this person implying? Look, 35mm is so good, it makes my consumer thingy look like a consumer thingy? At least we know that when we rent a Millennium or Elaine, we can expect better quality than from a Sony CCD-V 800 E.

(OT warning) Here's the last photo from that website (www.voicefilms.com). If a crew packed up my van by tossing gear in willy-nilly like this, I'd be having a major hissy fit.

equipment13.jpg

If it's my gear I want to keep it looking good, if it's rental gear I want company to know that I take good care of their equipment, and if it's borrowed gear I'd be ashamed to return it with any new scrapes, scratches, or bruises.

Exactly what I thought. Students.

I had the same thought, Hal!

I once made a Direct Cinema documentary back in 1996 about a group of HFF Munich film students making their first serious private full-scale production, observing them from casting to screening.

Haha that's quite funny, for my uni project I'm making a film about students making a film for their uni project. Well, it's a mockumentary. Satirical. I love being me.

Back to the hyperlinked website in the OP, however: what I find particularly enlightening is the intrigueing perspective of quality increments that manifests in the author's comment that the Panaflex's "...picture [...] is absolutely phenomenal. When I saw the developed film I could hardly believe my eyes. This makes my top of the line DV camera look like a Hi-8 camcorder from 1987..."

What is this person implying? Look, 35mm is so good, it makes my consumer thingy look like a consumer thingy? At least we know that when we rent a Millennium or Elaine, we can expect better quality than from a Sony CCD-V 800 E.

Hahahahahah! Yeah that's what I thought, it sounded dead naive - it made me wonder how these people had even got round to using a Panavision...

• Premium Member
It made me wonder how these people had even got round to using a Panavision...

Hmm, yes, now that you raise that... After all, it took me three phone calls of several weeks (!) to settle for a date with ARRI UK to get a presentation (!, no renting or test-shooting) of the 416. I should have gone to PV instead and rent an XL.

(Joking aside: I must disclaim that during the period of my efforts for a 416, ARRI UK were actually moving their office and also suffered from a high staff turnover as well; so not to have the good people of Oxford Road stand in bad light through my comments!)

Weird website for someone who's attempting to startup a production company. It almost seems as if they raided some studio's junk drawer and made a film with what was still working.

Hahahaha. I'd be put off ever hiring them purely because of the reference to their 'top of the range DV camcorder'.

A bit like saying "this F1 car makes my Nissan Micra seem like a lawnmower!"

• 2 years later...
IBack to the hyperlinked website in the OP, however: what I find particularly enlightening is the intrigueing perspective of quality increments that manifests in the author's comment that the Panaflex's "...picture [...] is absolutely phenomenal. When I saw the developed film I could hardly believe my eyes. This makes my top of the line DV camera look like a Hi-8 camcorder from 1987..."

The funny thing is, I am not sure if anyone noticed... that is an ELAINE... a short lived, shrouded in secrecy (LOL) 16mm camera that Panavision built in the 80's I think. they were converted to Super16mm , but they are more of a museum piece and oddity (although I am sure they run just fine). I think only Panavision in hollywood has the remaining bodies now.

oliver