HDV cameras in low light levels?

Rob Wilton

Dear all,

my director wants to shoot a night interior party scene

He suggested to use the Sony Z1, yet in my experience the Z1, nor the other camera Im familiar with - the HVX 200 - work well in low light levels.

Do any of you have any suggestions for cameras that might work better in such conditions, yet fall under roughly the a similar budget range?

thanks a lot for your help,

regards

Rob Wilton

• Premium Member
Dear all,

He suggested to use the Sony Z1, yet in my experience the Z1, nor the other camera Im familiar with - the HVX 200 - work well in low light levels.

Do any of you have any suggestions for cameras that might work better in such conditions, yet fall under roughly the a similar budget range?

regards

Rob Wilton

If you like the HVX-200, you can get a 2.8 with around 60 footcandles. How big is your party scene? A simple

tungsten kit should get you through any living room/house party situation I would think unless you have to light

a dance hall or something.

• 2 months later...

None of the small format HD(V) cameras have great low light capabilities. Either the Z1 or HVX should work for your needs. One question is whether this is a standalone scene or part of a larger project. If it's the latter, go with the camera that you'll be shooting with the entire time.

• 4 weeks later...

Use the brand new SONY V7U. It is 1.5 to 2 stops faster and a really improved camera.

Tom Hurwitz

Dear all,

regards

Rob Wilton