Canon Scoopic MS

Rolando Fernandez

• Premium Member

I've always understood that video anamorphic adapters weren't quite up to the quality required for film... but I'd love to hear how it works. Can you shoot some tests and let us know?

Might be a nice solution to the problem of converting these to Super 16.

• Premium Member

I don't know about the anamorphic adapter, but wide angle and fisheye converters which were made for the DVX/XL2 camera series work on the Scoopic just fine, they're both 72mm thread and the macro ring on the Scoopic lens allows you to focus properly.

Do you have to use the macro ring on the Scoopic to make the image focus? How far can you zoom in and remain in focus? I'd also be interested to know how this pans out.

I use a Nizo UWIII on my Scoopic, and it's really wide, and really sharp.

It was originally made for the Nizo Super 8 cameras, so you would think the resolution would not be adequate, but it's a fine, sharp piece of Scneider glass.

I love it!

You will be able to get one of these for much cheaper than what you're looking at.

Matt Pacini

Thanks Matt, this adapter compress anamophicaly without vinetting all the way to minimun zoom 12.5mm

my expectation on this lens is that the 16mm 1.33:1 format can be streched in post to 16:9 ratio, if this is

true then I just convert my scoopic to "ultra 16".

I'm crazy to watch the test footage!!!

Matt Pacini --

How did your cp-16 ultra-16mm experiment work out? Is your Nizo UWIII that you use on our Scoopic the plastic lens or the glass? Screw on 72mm? Also, did you try the ultra-16mm on the Scoopic? Looking for details on results. Your message box is full.

Thanks,

Paul

I haven't tried the Ultra16 mod on the Scoopic yet, because I'm waiting to find a trashed Scoopic M to canibalize the gate from, just in case the experiment doesn't work!

I did do it on my CP16R/A, with a spare gate I got.

When I telecine'd my footage, it came back blurry on the "ultra" edge.

One of two things happened (and I'm not sure which):

1. I didn't get the gate on right, so it was "lifted off" a bit on one side, which would make the image blur like it did.

2. They didn't understand my instructions during telecine, (they kept referring to Super16 in our conversations, and I had to keep telling them it wasn't), and something went wrong there.

So I put the regular gate back on for a couple projects I did for someone else, but I'm eager to give it a try again.

Matt Pacini