widest aperature HD lenses

shootist

Shooting HD. Want shallow depth of field. Client passed on PS Technic adapter. Seems all HD lenses are around f1.8. Are there any HD zoom lenses with wider max aperature commonly available? Need range of around 30mm to 100mm, give or take a few. Prefer zoom but may consider primes. Digiprimes are f1.5 and only reach to 70mm. Other choices?

Thanx

Zeiss DigiZoom 17-112 T1.9 is going to be far better for narrative stuff were people move around, they don't breath much. However, it doesn't go wide but if you need 30-100 then there you go. I assume you're talking 30-100 in 2/3" land which would make this show tight to very tight as far as focal lengths go because 30mm digiprime is about a 75mm in 35 terms. Now here is the bummer, the DigiZoom is not cheap... about as much as the Pro35 and skimpy set of Super Speeds so if cost is the ultimate decider then you might have to go with an ENG lens and tell your client that it'll look fine as long as nobody moves around.

• Premium Member

Check with the usual suspects (Fujinon, Canon, Angeniuex, Zeiss and Panavision). I believe the prism of 2/3" video cameras limits you to f 1.4, so you're not going to get any faster than that. Zooms obviously aren't going to be as fast, as a rule. I think there are some f1.6 zooms out there, but not all lenses are optically equal...