Static or Rotating "Beams" for Heaven

Benji Bakshi

Shooting a 16mm scene in which a man gazes at a woman who is in heaven.

Heavy fog, haze, dry ice, etc.

Overcranked. Probably 72 fps.

The woman must be visible (not completely covered in fog) and need to see heavenly beams of light.

Think beauty product commercial, but not in a white limbo. More textured and dynamic BG elements.

I've done testing and considering 2 possibilities for beams of light:

1. Beam projectors

PRO: nice parallel shaft. High output.

CON: Doesn't "move" or give breakup

2. MAC 2000

PRO: Programmable movement, rotating gobo effect

CON: Angled beam, could look source-y or staged. Only 1200w HMI - might not be able to fight the ambient light level.

Any thoughts on what would work better for dynamic beams of light: static or motion?

Shooting a 16mm scene in which a man gazes at a woman who is in heaven.

Heavy fog, haze, dry ice, etc.

Hey Benji ! Sounds like an interesting project! I really enjoyed working with you on "A Moment Alone"; those Steadicam running scenes we did in the subway were great fun. You guys worked my tail off!

You don't mention if the shot is interior or exterior? Regardless, here's a still image from a film I operated Steadicam on a few weeks ago. The DP used two 1200's outside through broken translucent windows. It's not exactly the high-key beauty look but it wouldn't be all that hard to build a rig to rotate some kind of cookie and/or vary the distance from the source.

Take care and good luck with your project!

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Las Vegas

boilerscenesmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The DP used two 1200's outside through broken translucent windows.

boilerscenesmall.jpg

Robert, likewise!

I ended up going with a beam projector.

Pretty nice tool. I ended up using it in almost every shot.

The output is so controlled and focused.

We were able to get perfectly parallel shafts of light raking across the BG and coming through windows.

• Premium Member

Hey Robert! Nice to see your words at least after meeting you in Maine this year. I hope things are going well with you.

Benji,

It looks like I missed your shoot schedule, but if you need to do this again, you might take a look at a theatrical stage lighting place. There are a number of gadgets for rotating gobos in front of ellipsoidal instruments like Source 4s. They can make for some interesting patterns of moving light through haze and fog effects. It sounds like the beam projector worked great for your application.

Cheers,

Ralph

Ralph Keyser

Albuquerque, New Mexico