Again a Colour Question

Guest Kevin

Hello together,

as i wanted to shoot oranges, and make them really stay in their colour i faced some problems.

Maybe somebody knows about it.

I had the Oranges in the forground the background should be bright and overexposed.

When i opend up the iris my oranges looked yellow like lemons. I want bright orange oranges. I had to be really dark to achieve true colours which destroyed my look. I tried several white balances, tried to colour correct but nothing helped.I worked in progressive 25p mode. I used available sunlight and some Arri daylight HMI.

When i connected my AGDVX100 on the same monitor, background was perfect bright, skin tones of people were ok and the oranges were orange...

I am thankfull for every usefull idea.

Kevin

• Premium Member

Potential Issues:

1. Did you set up this camera to a chip chart and check that the PAINT settings were where you wanted them? The Panasonic website has some excellent downloadable camera file that are a great starting point for creating the look you want. If the camera's settings were tweaked for the last users custom "look", it could make it impossible for you to reproduce a particular color faithfully. Side note: If PAINT: CAMERA SETTIGNS:HIGH COLOR is set to ON you can hold a bit more color in bright areas, but I don't think this is your problem.

2. Was the monitor terminated correctly when the SDX-900 was hooked up to it? If not, the kind of apparent color problems and "overexposure" you describe could be present. If you connected the DVX-100 to an RCA input on the same monitor (instead of the same composite BNC input I'm assuming you used for the 900), you could create exactly the scenario you describe where the 100 looks "right" and the 900 looks off.

HTH.

J

Thanks for the reply,

I checked the paint menu and all other settings before i started. The problem occurred on the set. I know the monitor and i know his "behavior" and i used the same BNC input and the same cable to controll the images of both cameras. I have the feeling that this specific colour was in a region of colourspace where the camera really has a problem...

I will download a camera-file and check it again.

Kevin

Potential Issues:

1.  Did you set up this camera to a chip chart and check that the PAINT settings were where you wanted them?  The Panasonic website has some excellent downloadable camera file that are a great starting point for creating the look you want.  If the camera's settings were tweaked for the last users custom "look", it could make it impossible for you to reproduce a particular color faithfully.  Side note: If PAINT: CAMERA SETTIGNS:HIGH COLOR is set to ON you can hold a bit more color in bright areas, but I don't think this is your problem.

2.  Was the monitor terminated correctly when the SDX-900 was hooked up to it?  If not, the kind of apparent  color problems and "overexposure" you describe could be present.  If you connected the DVX-100 to an RCA input on the same monitor (instead of the same composite BNC input I'm assuming you used for the 900), you could create exactly the scenario you describe where the 100 looks "right" and the 900 looks off.

HTH.

J

Hi-

If I understand your intentions to get a hot background without overexposing the oranges, then what you need to do is cut down the amount of light on the oranges, by squeezing some solids in there, providing "negative fill"- then you can open up for the oranges at proper exposure and blow out your background by whatever degree you're looking for. Hope that helps!

• Premium Member

Kevin -

Please keep me posted on what you find out in your exploration. If the problem is indeed a color space issue, I'll be curious to see what the solution is. I haven't come across any significant problems like this in any of my many hours of work with this camera.

J

Kevin -

Please keep me posted on what you find out in your exploration.  If the problem is indeed a color space issue, I'll be curious to see what the solution is.  I haven't come across any significant problems like this in any of my many hours of work with this camera.

J

Hello J,

of course i will let everyone know what i will find out. But it will take a little time until i get the camera next time. Then i will do a detailed testing!!!

Kevin