a PRONUNCIATION questioN!

Lucita Jones

Ok, I'm willing to bet my all my equipment that I am the first person asking this, but I just need to get an answer from a native English speaker or from a pro working in an English speaking country.

When we talk about setting a lamp to FLOOD or SPOT.....

is "flood" pronounced as in "floods of water" ???

or is it "flood" as in "coop or wood" ???

You see, I teach my students that it is "flood " as in a "flood of light", which makes a lot of sense to me.

But everyone else here (we speak Spanish) uses "flood" as in "wood". So, which is the correct form?

Thanks!

Edited by Lucita Jones

Yes, it's the same word as in "floods of water" so you pronounce it the same way.

that is, to rhyme with dud or blood as someone said before.

However, there are regional variations. In the north of England, you would hear "flood" or "blood" (or "dud" for that matter) sounding much closer to the "wood" you mentioned. More like "pudding". Though not as long a sound as "food".

Don't expect any English word to be pronounced as it is spelt - and don't expect any English word to be pronounced as it is twenty miles away!

Yes, it's the same word as in "floods of water" so you pronounce it the same way.

that is, to rhyme with dud or blood as someone said before.

However, there are regional variations. In the north of England, you would hear "flood" or "blood" (or "dud" for that matter) sounding much closer to the "wood" you mentioned. More like "pudding". Though not as long a sound as "food".

Don't expect any English word to be pronounced as it is spelt - and don't expect any English word to be pronounced as it is twenty miles away!

Thank you very much for answering my doubt!!!