mixing fluro's and tungsten

venix

Hi there,

i am shooting a scene in a prison corridor and i plan to have a 2 k fresnel beaming through each of the two doors to simulate daylight (we are shooting at night) you see on the side of the corridor. However i quite like the green tinge some fluro's seem to give so i would like to use the fluro's you see in the picture as well.

My question is will the tungsten coming in through the doors alter the green tinge coming of the fluro's?

Regards,

Venix

The tungsten could wash out the light coming from the flos, but it won't techincally alter it. Use flags and light placement to keep the light from spilling on to everything, and hopefully it's not a white or light-colored prison block, which will bounce the light all around. Also, keep the tungsten light as hard as possible, and if it's just glowing the windows of the doors, then keep it as dim as possible, too.

If you want the flos to be more green (remember that film is very "blind" to the green part of the color spectrum), you can add magenta to the tungsten and time it out later. The flos will also appear more blue than many people would expect, because you're probably using tungsten film and you now have a "white" reference that is warmer than the sun or HMIs.

-Graham Futerfas

These are questions, not only suggestions:

What is more indicated to create this sunlight coming in from the door? hard or diffused light?

If you´re shooting tungsten film, what about adding a 1/8 CTO to warm the all white tungsten light? would it possibly look interesting or would it become unrealisticly reddish?

Since it´s daytime, wouldn´t it be interesting to add lots of fill light to the corridor? what would be the best solution for this given the space? bouncing ?

Cant you talk to the guys in order to try to change the shooting schedule to daytime?

However i quite like the green tinge some fluro's seem to give so i would like to use the fluro's you see in the picture as well.

ive got a question regarding that, maybe someone could help...i know the look you're talking about, that whiteish hall look. but wouldn't it be hard do to the 2k sun thing from the door, and still use of the coolness of the other fluro's light source source. ?

jon

we have to shoot at night as they have tours during the day :( So what will the tungsten do to the flurous? Make them warmer? Very noticeably? We are going down there soon to shoot a few tests of the flurous soon.

Cheers

• Premium Member

What you can do to reenforce your fluos is to meter them with a colormeter and make your tungsten material match their color temperature and cc.

Remember the fluos are often green or magenta, and the gel that allows you to create the same color dominante is either plus or minus green (since magenta is the complemantary color of green, minus green is magenta gel)