Tobin 16-S/M Crystal Motors Returning

Clive Tobin

We previously discontinued the TCS TXM-22A multispeed crystal motors for Arri 16-S and 16-M cameras. This was owing to sales being rather slow, the Arri 16mm cameras not being converted to super-16 and ordinary 16mm becoming obsolete, and our being swamped with orders for our TVT series of telecine machines.

In the meantime, we have heard that Visual Products will be offering the first fully satisfactory (their words) Super-16 conversion which may revitalize the market for motors. Also we are finally getting caught up with the back ordered TVTs.

So we are gearing up to make another run of the crystal motors, and they should be available in a few months.

The design does not always give reliable running at 50 FPS so we might eliminate this speed from the dial. The position will still be there but not marked.

I am wondering if a run of say 25 units will be enough to satisfy the market for the next few years? Who will promise to buy one when they are available?

(Tim, I hope this stops your whining!) :-)

• Premium Member

Clive,

Okay, no more whining. That's great news. I get regular requests on the web site for these. Once you get things firmed up, let me know and I'll put something up about it.

Had not heard about the Visual Products thing, care to elaborate or let me know where you found the information?

Thanks Clive, and again, great news,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Even without the Super 16 conversion (which sorry I'm a skeptic and will believe it when I see it) the Tobin crystal sync motor makes the Arriflex 16S and 16M cameras so much more versatile. You can read about and listen to different methods of quieting the camera for dealing with sound sync below:

Barney and Noise Reduction Software

ARRI Lightweight Fibre Glass Blimp 16

And you can shoot 16:9 with the camera the way it is, without a Super 16 conversion:

Shooting 16:9 with your Arriflex 16S or 16M

The other thing that doesn't get mentioned much about Clive's TXM-22 motor is that not only will it run crystal sync for you at 24 fps (or 25 fps for Europe), but it also runs crystal speeds at 12 fps, 20 fps, 30 fps, 40 fps and possibly 50 fps. What this does for you, compared to using the ARRI variable speed or other variable speed motors which are "wild" is that it gives you very consistent exposure at those speeds. If you have ever run one of the "wild" variable speed motors on the camera and checked it with a strobe, the speed is fluctuating all over the place, which gives you inconsistent exposure and possibly flicker. So using Clive's motor for any kind of effects work on your film gives you very consistent speed and exposure results.

Glad to see it coming back,

-Tim

Even without the Super 16 conversion (which sorry I'm a skeptic and will believe it when I see it) the Tobin crystal sync motor makes the Arriflex 16S and 16M cameras so much more versatile. You can read about and listen to different methods of quieting the camera for dealing with sound sync below:

Barney and Noise Reduction Software

ARRI Lightweight Fibre Glass Blimp 16

And you can shoot 16:9 with the camera the way it is, without a Super 16 conversion:

Shooting 16:9 with your Arriflex 16S or 16M

The other thing that doesn't get mentioned much about Clive's TXM-22 motor is that not only will it run crystal sync for you at 24 fps (or 25 fps for Europe), but it also runs crystal speeds at 12 fps, 20 fps, 30 fps, 40 fps and possibly 50 fps. What this does for you, compared to using the ARRI variable speed or other variable speed motors which are "wild" is that it gives you very consistent exposure at those speeds. If you have ever run one of the "wild" variable speed motors on the camera and checked it with a strobe, the speed is fluctuating all over the place, which gives you inconsistent exposure and possibly flicker. So using Clive's motor for any kind of effects work on your film gives you very consistent speed and exposure results.

Glad to see it coming back,

-Tim

Wow. That blimp really eliminated the camera noise.

Clive, You should rename the motor "BLUE", claim it will obsolete all previous motors, and take 25% deposits. :)

Thanks for your replies, guys. You might as well not pre-order as we are likely to lose it, and we are not requiring deposits. Price will I think be $895 which is the same as previously. Unless I can charge extra if it is painted blue. ;-)

• Premium Member
Hi Clive,

Any chance of your IIC crystal motor returning too? :)

Babar

They do show up on eBay from time to time. Search for "Arri Tobin" and/or "Arriflex Tobin" in All Categories. (The quotes aren't required).

Hi Clive, Any chance of your IIC crystal motor returning too? :) Babar

Could be. We have been advised though that we need to hide the upright motor of the TXM-21Ab as this has led to disparaging remarks from some people, from what we've heard. (Oh, the horror, we can see the MOTOR! I won't buy this model although it is perfect otherwise!!!)

Maybe a giant size beer can over the motor, painted blue so we can sell it for more money? Maybe we'll call it the TXM-21Ab/B/BC for Blue and Beer Can. ;-)

Seriously, we will likely make it more like black this time, with automatic switching of input voltage polarity to avoid confusion over Arri vs. Panavision 24 volt reversed pin connections.

If thinking about buying one on Ebay, be advised that the TXM-18 and TXM-21 had a bit of a flicker problem when driving cameras with erratic magazine or overall friction (i.e. most of them) as the small motor hidden inside the flat base (that everyone said was an absolute necessity) didn't have enough reserve torque and inertia. It bothered some people on some subject matter but not others. The TXM-21A largely cured the flicker using revised electronics needing a cooling fan, the TXM-21Aa with a big motor completely fixed it, and the TXM-21Ab also had a big motor and had a wider range of speeds.

• 1 month later...
...So we are gearing up to make another run of the crystal motors, and they should be available in a few months.... (Tim, I hope this stops your whining!) :-)

The latest batch is now starting to come off the assembly line. There are 5 finished right now and the other 20 should be done testing in a few days.

So now is the time for everyone who said they would buy one to put their money where their, er, keyboard is. ;-)

I am giving readers of this group the first crack at them, before updating the web site. Get 'em while they're hot.

• 3 years later...

The latest batch is now starting to come off the assembly line. There are 5 finished right now and the other 20 should be done testing in a few days.

So now is the time for everyone who said they would buy one to put their money where their, er, keyboard is. ;-)

I am giving readers of this group the first crack at them, before updating the web site. Get 'em while they're hot.

Wow. Here I am replying to a post 3 years old...

All I have to say is actually a plea...

Clive! PLEASE build some wonderful crystal-sync for us!

Here, speaking to you from the future in 2011, I can tell you now they're pretty scarse... Very scarse.

I've just bought two Arri 16s kits, and willing to put them at their best! And convert them to ULTRA16.

Why not manufacture a hundred and see how they go? After looking at DOZENS of posts where people are FAMISHED for a single 12V Crystal-Sync... I BET they would go pretty quick.

I'd like 2, please... :P

Edited by flavio filho

Wow. Here I am replying to a post 3 years old...

All I have to say is actually a plea...

Clive! PLEASE build some wonderful crystal-sync for us!

Here, speaking to you from the future in 2011, I can tell you now they're pretty scarse... Very scarse.

I've just bought two Arri 16s kits, and willing to put them at their best! And convert them to ULTRA16.

Why not manufacture a hundred and see how they go? After looking at DOZENS of posts where people are FAMISHED for a single 12V Crystal-Sync... I BET they would go pretty quick.

I'd like 2, please... :P

Thanks for your interest. The last 25 took a long time to sell, so there is no chance we would make 100 of them, and only an extremely remote chance we would make any at all. Sorry but we are keeping pretty much fully occupied making our telecine equipment. We are finally (after maybe 6 months) finishing a batch of 25 TXM-20Ba crystal motors for Bolex for Du-All Camera. We are considering making up a smaller batch of our TTL time lapse motors for Bolex eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest. The last 25 took a long time to sell, so there is no chance we would make 100 of them, and only an extremely remote chance we would make any at all. Sorry but we are keeping pretty much fully occupied making our telecine equipment. We are finally (after maybe 6 months) finishing a batch of 25 TXM-20Ba crystal motors for Bolex for Du-All Camera. We are considering making up a smaller batch of our TTL time lapse motors for Bolex eventually.

Nooooooooooooooooooo............... (in slow motion without a TMS Crystal sync...) :o

That's such a shame!

Well, you never know if you change your mind...

I still believe you make 100 they would sell in a flash! I could buy some 3 myself.:P

Please, please let us know if you change your mind, ok?

About the Crystal sync motors for Bolex you are manufacturing... I think you'd probably have one that works with a Bolex EL?

Where can I see models and prices? I couldn't find yin your website...?

Best of luck!

Flavio

Edited by flavio filho

Hi,

Sorry I can not give much encouragement on making more Arri S motors.

We are making up a batch of 25 TXM-20Ba crystal motors for Du-All Camera. These fit the Rex-4, -5, -SB -SBM and similar spring wound Bolex cameras. When these are done we might make a smaller batch of the TTL time lapse motors for the same cameras. There won't be 25 owing the problems in getting more parts.

None of these models are listed on the website any more. However if you go to the Instruction Manuals tab, you can read the instructions and get an idea of the capabilities.

Cheers, Clive Tobin

http://www.TobinCinemaSystems.com