Pro 8mm adds HD Scanning

Alan Lasky

I was dropping off some film today at Pro 8mm in Burbank and they had a press release on the desk regarding their addition of an HD Telecine/Scanner:

http://www.pro8mm.com/pro8_pdfs/Press/Pro8...20For%20web.pdf

Pretty cool, looks like they have purchased a Cintel Millennium II, and apparently Cintel has agreed to make a custom gate to support the Pro 8mm "MAX 8" format. They think the first HD material will be coming 'out of the gate' (so to speak) in March. I believe they are going to put up a survey form to see what formats people will want to see supported (HDCAM, HDCAM-SR, DVC-PRO HD, data, etc). Might be a good chance to see how the Super-8/HD thing shakes out.

I wonder when we will see the first HD Super 8mm Super Bowl commercial?

Alan Lasky

The People's Republic of California

• Premium Member

:lol:

Let alone offering an Ultra 8 format modified camera gate with a viewfinder system that is pretty much missing the point, as I wrote in this thread here and now had to find as being exactly as I feared by looking at this picture of Wittner Cinetec's German distributor salespage for the Pro8mm camera formerly-know-as-a-Beaulieu-4008.

A ridiculousness I've last seen on a lesser scale with the frame-cropping 16:9 modification offered by the former German Beaulieu distributor Ritter for the Beaulieu 6/7/9008-series camera and the Beaulieu 708-series projector in the late 1990s... :rolleyes:

:lol:

Let alone offering an Ultra 8 format modified camera gate with a viewfinder system that is pretty much missing the point, as I wrote in this thread here and now had to find as being exactly as I feared by looking at this picture of Wittner Cinetec's German distributor salespage for the Pro8mm camera formerly-know-as-a-Beaulieu-4008.

A ridiculousness I've last seen on a lesser scale with the frame-cropping 16:9 modification offered by the former German Beaulieu distributor Ritter for the Beaulieu 6/7/9008-series camera and the Beaulieu 708-series projector in the late 1990s... :rolleyes:

What's disapponting about Wittner is that they acquired all the old Beaulieu stock and decided not to release any of the old/new stock, as was originally intended, but just sell the Pro8mm version 4008 instead.

Edited by Tony Hudson

• Premium Member
What's disapponting about Wittner is that they acquired all the old Beaulieu stock and decided not to release any of the old/new stock, as was originally intended, but just sell the Pro8mm version 4008 instead.

Agreed! That sucks quite alot!

Since Wittner became the official Beaulieu distributor after Ritter in DE and Super 8 Sound 'cum Pro8mm in US, they changed from being a nice small helpful boutique to developing that odd "Beaulieu distributor attitude" with high pricing, bad service and a hint & whiff of rip-off that one suspects when dealing with people there..: In Germany, Ritter had the byname "Raub-Ritter", which is German for "robber knight"... and from what I gather on this forum, Pro8mm isn't that highly esteemd either.