Changing Bags - How do you store your changing bag?

• Premium Member
My tent came in a nice little baggie of it's own. I just fold it up, pushing out the air, and stick it in, with the bottom of the bag (the thickest part) on the outside, and then put the tent poles in later on (it's a harrison changing tent)

Any tips for avoiding getting dust in the bag that the changing bag is stored in? It seems like it could easily become a dust trap. You need to keep the bag the changing bag goes in nearby at all times, no? So what if the shoot goes into a wooded area and you have to leave your cases behind? You take the bag the changing bag comes in with you I presume, but once you pull the changing bag out to use, where does the other bag get kept so it doesn't attract dirt and dust? Also, how compact is the changing bag in the event one has to do guerilla style of filming.

And what is the quickest way to "check in" a changing bag that is being used for the first time?

• Premium Member
Any tips for avoiding getting dust in the bag that the changing bag is stored in? It seems like it could easily become a dust trap. You need to keep the bag the changing bag goes in nearby at all times, no? So what if the shoot goes into a wooded area and you have to leave your cases behind? You take the bag the changing bag comes in with you I presume, but once you pull the changing bag out to use, where does the other bag get kept so it doesn't attract dirt and dust? Also, how compact is the changing bag in the event one has to do guerilla style of filming.

And what is the quickest way to "check in" a changing bag that is being used for the first time?

Before any job with a changing bag or tent, you need to check it. Take it into a darkroom and have a bright flashlight with you. Sit in the dark for a few minutes so your eyes have a chance to adjust to the dark and then inspect the bag with the flashlight turned on inside it. You shouldn't be able to see a spot of light whatsoever. If you can, tape it over from both the inside and outside with black tape.

I just fold it up, pushing out the air, and stick it in

I was told a long time ago not to fold tents or changing bags because the folded edges become wear points over time. Think of the edges of a call sheet after its been in your pocket for a few hours. The idea was to stuff tents and changing bags into a sack and therefore "randomize" the wrinkling etc.. By the time you wear out your changing bag you've probably earned enough to afford a new one.

Robert Starling, SOC

Steadicam Owner Operator

Las Vegas

• Premium Member

I shake out the bag after every day of shooting and try to keep it assembled in an out of the way place while on set.

I check as mentioned in a dark room with a flashlight.

never thought of the wear points on the bag though; but with my "folding," it really is more like rolling up (i always roll it in the end as well, i basically just half it over twice and then roll the rest of it like an old camping tent).

I keep it's other bag near by, generally closed, but I also will shake that out and give it a good inspection.

I try to keep the armlets of the bag on the inside so they're not exposed to dust/dirt as much and of course i keep it zipped up.

I may not be doing it by the book, if there is a book, but it's been working for me thusly.