New Sony F35

Brian Drysdale

can you read anything on that website apart from f23 and f35?

greets,

timo

If you can handle the Japanese characters you can do a translation. Unfortunately, I can't just paste the google translation from a message on CML, which is the usual quirky affair, but I'll sum up what the F35 basics seem to be:

F23 Chassis with 35mm full aperture size striped CCD sensor and PL mount with 1920 X 1080 output. Currently available only in Japan - rest of world after late 2008/Early 2009.

50P 4:4:4 maximum frame rate.

• 2 weeks later...
If you can handle the Japanese characters you can do a translation. Unfortunately, I can't just paste the google translation from a message on CML, which is the usual quirky affair, but I'll sum up what the F35 basics seem to be:

F23 Chassis with 35mm full aperture size striped CCD sensor and PL mount with 1920 X 1080 output. Currently available only in Japan - rest of world after late 2008/Early 2009.

50P 4:4:4 maximum frame rate.

Wasn't Speed Racer filmed with the F23? I could be wrong

Yeomans

• Premium Member
Wasn't Speed Racer filmed with the F23?

Yes. The F23 has 2/3" CCD's, three in a prism block.

Apparently the F35 has an RGB striped single 35mm sensor like the Genesis (I could be wrong though), which makes sense in a way, since it is a simpler process to get to 4:4:4 RGB at 1920 x 1080 for recording to HDCAM-SR, compared to a Bayer filter and debayering algorithm, although the Arri-D20 does this and is often recorded to an HDCAM-SR at HD resolution.

Take a look at the wacky trailer for "Speed Racer" here:

http://movies.aol.com/movie/speed-racer-2008/28066/main

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Apparently the F35 has an RGB striped single 35mm sensor like the Genesis (I could be wrong though)

IIRC, the chip in Genesis is made by Sony. It could be that Sony retained the IP rights to the mask set, and gave Panavision an exclusive period which has now expired. That's a guess, though.

-- J.S.

I believe BandPro is showing the F35 at NAB.

Interesting that the two different approaches are developing further this year, the traditional video type recording camera as in the F35 and RAW now also available on the Arri D21 (with a HD option).

Edited by Brian Drysdale

I'm a Data Tech/ AC out of Videofax here in San Francisco and we have a F23 and it blows me away what that camera can achieve especially in the Blue,Violet range of the spectrum. I've done a few commercials and love HyperGamma 4 because I can see colors I've never seen on a 4:4:4 monitor before. I never saw a camera that could hold detail past 3.5+ stops over key. If the F35 is anywhere near the F23 I'll be nothing short of blown away. Again!

FYI the Striped Sensor on the Genesis is by far the best Sensor for Green Screen.

We also have a reservation for the F35 which will be at NAB and no doubt Jeff Cree will be there to talk about it!

Dane Brehm

1st AC / DMT

San Francisco, CA

4k + Raw Consultancy

4krawconsultant@gmail.com

• 6 months later...
So, I'd assume in practical terms it's 24.89mm x 18.66mm.

Thanks for your reply

If you divide 24.89 into 18.66 you get 1.33 hence 4x3.

The F35 has a 16x9 sized sensor. I'm looking for the exact size in millimeters.

Anyone?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for your reply

If you divide 24.89 into 18.66 you get 1.33 hence 4x3.

The F35 has a 16x9 sized sensor. I'm looking for the exact size in millimeters.

Anyone?

Thanks

Steve

The Genesis is 23.62mm by 13.28mm using the same Sony sensor.

Sorry, I have a couple more questions. I promise I have searched extensively, but so far have not found the answers. I appreciate the F35 is very similar to the Genesis but I am not too familiar with that camera.

Does the F35 have a Rolling or Global Shutter?

What colour temperature is the camera, is it 3200k like most CCD cameras?

Thank you for your time.

Steve Price