Letus 35 extreme

Mark Williams

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone tried these adapters? Do they degrade the image? Whats you're opinion?

People have found that the letus loses very little light and is very good. I personally use the SGpro V3 adapter with nikon still lenses and have good success. there is a option mount PL-mount or OCT-13 lenses on the adapter. Not to mention they both offer flip so the image is right side up. You can get more detail from other forums like DVinfo.net or Dvxuser.com. for more information.

People have found that the letus loses very little light and is very good. I personally use the SGpro V3 adapter with nikon still lenses and have good success. there is a option mount PL-mount or OCT-13 lenses on the adapter. Not to mention they both offer flip so the image is right side up. You can get more detail from other forums like DVinfo.net or Dvxuser.com. for more information.

Image is softened when the adapter is added... using an HVX200 you can crank up the detail level and fiddle with the detail coring to compensate.

Also, you'll start seeing the ground glass pattern around f5.6 on the attached lens.

That being said, I never take mine off... I love the thing! If you have a video camera without a detachable lens the attachment can work wonders

Hope that helps

Kip

• 2 months later...
Has anyone tried these adapters? Do they degrade the image? Whats you're opinion?

Hi-

I just shot a couple local bank spots with the Letus, it was nice to have the shallow DOF, and it looked good (the clients loved it), but kind of awkward on the camera (as I imagine any adapter is) I sure wouldn't want to do a bunch of hand-held with it, and follow-focus (with Nikkors) is pretty much guess-work. I did notice that at the wide stops we were shooting at, like 2.0, 2.8, there was pretty severe vignetting, focus-wise, and I know that's not from the lenses. But I haven't used any of the other adapters out there, I don't know how they'd compare, other than I keep hearing wonderful things about the Letus, and my experience was good for what we were doing.

The build quality sure seems first rate.

My sense is that it's kind of like putting a strong diffusion filter on the camera; you don't do that and then complain about lack of sharpness.

Hi-

I just shot a couple local bank spots with the Letus, it was nice to have the shallow DOF, and it looked good (the clients loved it), but kind of awkward on the camera (as I imagine any adapter is) I sure wouldn't want to do a bunch of hand-held with it, and follow-focus (with Nikkors) is pretty much guess-work. I did notice that at the wide stops we were shooting at, like 2.0, 2.8, there was pretty severe vignetting, focus-wise, and I know that's not from the lenses. But I haven't used any of the other adapters out there, I don't know how they'd compare, other than I keep hearing wonderful things about the Letus, and my experience was good for what we were doing.

The build quality sure seems first rate.

My sense is that it's kind of like putting a strong diffusion filter on the camera; you don't do that and then complain about lack of sharpness.

Hi Pat

Since this thread I've bought a letus done loads of tests and very happy with the results. No issues here for me! All ironed out. Vignetting can happen if your not zoomed in close enough. Back focus was a problem but I used layers of tape till I got a pin sharp image.

Vignetting can happen if your not zoomed in close enough. Back focus was a problem but I used layers of tape till I got a pin sharp image.

Quite so, but it seemed to me that the camera's macro wouldn't let me zoom in/crop very much at all before it just went wildly out of focus, and when you're shooting with a 28mm lens for a wider field of view, you don't really want to crop in too much anyway, it defeats the purpose of using a wide angle. There seemed to be a very small range between too wide (on the HVX's lens) where you were picking up a complete porthole, to too long, where the HVX lens simply couldn't focus on the GG. The one thing I didn't play with was changing the aperture on the HVX, to see how that changed things and I believe the HVX lens was wide, or close to wide open.

It's also just a lot of stuff for those poor light rays to pass through before they hit the back end of the camera; the taking lens, the vibrating ground glass, then the camcorder's own array of glass and finally the optical block, it's a miracle there's anything left, quality-wise!

It's kind of ironic that the end result of all that glass and interference looks very similar to the single element meniscus lens in my 100-year old box camera (which I really like).