:::MADISON-ROCKS::: Sorry4 Music video screenshots

SpikeUM

Some of these shots look very nice, but there is an overall lack of contrast that I think would benefit from some color correction.It doesn't feel that there are any real blacks, and the colors are also a bit flat.

I like the shots of her facing camera in the middle of the street, but there doesn't seem to be any really wide shots, so they start to blend together.

neg- besides the cool shot by the bridge/city, most locations were pretty drab and ordinary and they dont do much for me... didn't care for the outfits. and the black beads have got to go!

I thought her lips (and maybe even her face) were a little too flat for my taste...but then again the video doesn't portray a lot of glamour.

but maybe you were going for the more 'real' or 'ordinary' look and thats fine if you were aiming for that. it just didnt seem like her appearance meshed

with the atmosphere either.

the back lighting couldve been more on the shots by the windows...everything is just so flat...I would bump up the midtone contrast some...or just contrast period.

pos- DOF looks good and makes for an attractive (film-like) image. and the shots of her in the street look really nice! :)

a couple of my points are just taste, so dont take personally. overall, some decent imagery.

good job,

lea

Edited by ross e lea

Thanks for commenting. I never take it personally. :)

These are going to be black and white which is killing me but thats what they want. As far as locations go, it was run and gun as we found things. I had to make do with what I had because all the locations fell through on the day of shooting. I thought we were going to shoot 2 days this weekend and I had the idea that there were 2 Madisons in the same frame with one looking all weak and submissive and the other commanding and alpha-female. That got scrapped when we start shooting and the locations they got started falling through and the outsides were a little rushed because it was freezing out. Oh well :P. You got to do what you got to do when its gets rough. We had a rooftop they wanted but we did one take and was like fook this, its too cold and went inside and shot near the window with all natural lights and a bounce. All my lights were in the jeep but never used them there since that was a spur of the moment before it got dark. I have wider shots but she was moving so much I couldn't get a clean grab from them plus I was on a glide cam making the motion even more blurred at a shutter of 24. They want to shoot in an auto-body shop next so let's see what I can do with that place when I get there. Probably will only have an hour to shoot I bet.

As far as contrast. On my CRT it looks like there is enough contrast. Are you on LCDs? Can you photoshop one of the stills to give me an idea of what you like in terms of contrast?

• Premium Member

The symmetrical compositions on the street exterior look cool.

All the exteriors are a bit overexposed. Maybe that was by design, but video doesn't handle overexposed skintones very well. On the HVX in particular they tend to go a little yellow. You would have had more room for color correction by exposing a little darker. The "flat" look (desaturated color and milky blacks) is to be expected with any relay lens system, and can easily be "snapped up" in color correction.

Maybe it's just me, but something always bothers me about low-res formats letterboxed to 2.35:1. Since we're so used to seeing anamorphic and super35mm in that aspect ratio, it just becomes more apparent that the format is low res to begin with, and cut down from there.

Oddly enough though, the barrel distortion in some of the interiors starts to mimic 35mm anamorphic...

As far as contrast. On my CRT it looks like there is enough contrast. Are you on LCDs? Can you photoshop one of the stills to give me an idea of what you like in terms of contrast?

here's my preference of contrast that I did for ya real quick, plus it adds a little more depth I believe. even so, I would have preferred more

kicker or back lighting to give more character and depth to the girl.

post-23259-1196639822.jpg

Edited by ross e lea

I guess the yellows you guys are seeing is the warm filter that I always use. I did throw the image in photoshop and hit autocolor to see what it gave me and it took out the yellows. I like what you did to the image, it brought out the angles of her face more which I thought was interesting. I would have back lit her more also if I had my kit up there. We stopped in that place to get access to the roof and when we froze to death, we came down and decided to get some quick window shots before the sun went down. That shot you choose was just after the sun went behind the buildings. You can see 2 shots before that one where the sun was shining through the window.

I don't know why but I love cropping to 2.35:1 or smaller. I think its because the black borders give the illusion that the colors pop more.

I wound up cropping this older video really small. My friends call it "aram" vision. Probably just a phase I'm going through.

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=25502

Here is the final vid from that here.

http://datruthspitters.com/Lets_stay.html

• Premium Member

Playing with a cross-processed look; it'll probably look a bit crushed on your CRT:

post-366-1196659717.jpg

post-366-1196659739.jpg

post-366-1196659762.jpg

post-366-1196659778.jpg

Cooled off the color balance, lowered the gamma, increased saturation and added a cheesy preset vignette from iphoto. If this was "for real" I would have softened the vignette and spent more time making sure she held pretty skin tones.

These are going to be black and white which is killing me but thats what they want.

In addition to lowering the overall gamma, you might want to play around with the color balance before you desaturate. You can get a variety of looks that way.

post-366-1196659530.jpg

post-366-1196659544.jpg

We had a discussion about it here.

I love the picture on the first post of that link. If we shoot wednesday I'm going to go for that look fo sho' :)

That cross processed look is hot. Maybe I can talk them into doing some B&W and some like that.

• Premium Member

I just threw it together in Preview, using RGB sliders to change the white point. With skin tones in RGB you want to pay close attention to the Green-magenta balance. One you've got the hue of skin looking right, play with the saturation and overall exposure (white level) to refine it (changing the white point that strongly is just pushing your levels up above 100, so you usually have to push the exposure back down again).

post-366-1196804490.jpeg

With other color correctors your method may be a little different, but the principle is the same.

• 2 months later...