$50.00 projector?

Curtis Barnhart

I'm thinking about buying a Chinon 2500gl super 8 projector I found for $50.00. The guy told me everything works and runs good. Is this a good projector for playing back ektachrome 64t color reversal film. Filmed at 18fps. If not what should I look for in a good super8 projector? I just recently bought a Canon 512xl and plan to play everything I film back on a projector. Very new to super 8 so if anything sounds dumb that's why. Thanks... :ph34r:

• Premium Member

As long as the claw mechanism matches the film sprocket size, the projector is the appropriate type. So a super-8 projector can handle any REVERSAL film stocks. Negative film stocks don't bother as the image is identical to a 35mm negative in terms of appearance.

But you will need to clean the projector's path and make sure the film is not being scratched. You probably would want to purchase white super-8 leader and experiment running that through the projector. If you can properly thread it and learn where the automatic "loop" function is and how it works you are getting close.

There is a chance that the rubber components in the projector, such as the drive belt, will need to be replaced. You may want to click on the filmtools advertiser icon and see if they carry such products. If they don't, you will need to find a more specialized super-8 seller.