Best Super 16mm Camera for the Price?????

A.J. Hammer

Hey guys,

I am looking to rent, and eventually purchase a Super 16mm camera that I can use for extreme proffessional look. It will be for Music video's, commercials, and Film. I know to get the look I want(idealy anything as close to the 35mm cinematic look as possible) it requires a bunch of different factors, but what is the best combination. From film stock to lenses and definitely the camera that will work for me.

Now here is the kicker, I am talking about for the price of something a grad student(me) can afford, which isnt that much at all. This is why it might be renting first. But I have recently been commissioned to do several projects, in which others will be fronting the bill, but I am interested for my own work. It is very important for the quality issues. I have seen 16mm film that looks incredible, and others that looks horrible, depending on the equipment used.

Any help anyone can give, all suggestions and ideas are much appreciated.

A.J.

P.S. Please forgive my spelling

Definitely rent first. Other than certain special functions and the ability to mount modern lenses and accessories, most cameras are essentially light-tight boxes that move film at 24fps. That's how you'll use them 99% of the time. You can use all sorts of filmstocks in them and unless they are particularly oddball machines they will run just fine with solid registration and sharpness.

So what becomes important is the ability to use modern (or if you wish, ancient) lenses and accessories. Can they support variable speed boxes and video taps? Can you ramp the speed in camera (guess what--hardly anyone ever does)? Can you alter the shutter angle on the camera? What about mounting a mattebox, followfocus, zoom motor, etc.? Is there an extension eyepiece available for it for operating? Can you mount PL lenses?

There are really only two top models out there for rental, the Arri SR3-advanced and the Aaton XTR-prod. There are earlier models of these cameras out there but the Prod has been out for more than a decade and the SR3-advanced for four and then SR3 for a decade before that. This is what you should rent and compare all other to. There are also a few books for comparing 16mm cameras and their functions & accessories.