ABSOLUTE BEST TIME-LAPSE Super 8

Joe Taylor

• Premium Member
A Mitchell with the reflex viewing system and the norris single frame time-lapse motor. Ironically enough, Joe Taylor picked a Mitchell recently, I don't think it had the motor. Maybe I could trade him the Nizo Professional for his 35mm set-up? :rolleyes:

:lol:

NICE! A Mitchell ? good choice and shows style. I thought that Arriflex would've been it as it is more often found and also often used for time exposures.

Just to clarify, I made two separate purchases. I did not get both for $225.00. I had purchased a "loud" 2056 off of ebay a while ago. lol, I got it for a really good price, but was surprised at how loud it was, which might explain the really good price. I wonder how that the loud "2056" can be quieted down. That 1048 really is quiet.

Oh, yeah, I actually read and understood it like that. I would still give a 'Tick!' for that :)

Hmm, as regards the 2056... I think this might well be just a simple lubrication issue. From experiences in our film group with Nizo sound cameras, the belt-driven motor pretty much results in same-loudness-level when the cams are well maintained. So I guess the 2056 might need some little attention. Maybe just lube, maybe a problem with the belt itself or indeed maybe the capstan drive of the commag module?

There were once barneys offered for a variety of cameras, and I saw one for the Nizo sound camera models and a 4008-series one at Ritter. I am still bitter that I didn't buy it then. It was custom-fitting to those. I wonder why noone re-releases those? I am sure that might be a helpful accessory. Personally, with a top notch CLA'd camera and a good film stock in a well-produced cartridge, the only thing that makes Super 8 lack camera-wise behind other formats is a good barney to cover the MOS sound level AND a quartz-solution for crystal-sync filming. If that would be all available, I think Super 8 filming would be a serious new proposition for a variety of filmmaking situations!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
P.S.: Just shot plenty of Plus-X today using the time exposure function of the Bauer A 512 to film the darkened interior architecture of a former Victorian Lunatic Asylum ? can't wait to get the cartridges back.

Are you trying to see if you can record the ghost images on film of patients that have passed on to the other side?

I know this goes really off-topic, but because we talked about it above:

For an impression of the interior of the 1851 Middlesex County Asylum/Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum/Friern Barnet Mental Hospital/Princess Park Manor, may I bring this clip to your attention:

The corridor seen in some shots was until recently the longest-running corridor ever built in Europe. It was demolished to make place for a luxury flat development cutting it in several pieces. Ironically, some (originally all) members of "Girls Aloud" now live here.

• Premium Member
There were once barneys offered for a variety of cameras, and I saw one for the Nizo sound camera models and a 4008-series one at Ritter. I am still bitter that I didn't buy it then. It was custom-fitting to those. I wonder why noone re-releases those? I am sure that might be a helpful accessory. Personally, with a top notch CLA'd camera and a good film stock in a well-produced cartridge, the only thing that makes Super 8 lack camera-wise behind other formats is a good barney to cover the MOS sound level AND a quartz-solution for crystal-sync filming. If that would be all available, I think Super 8 filming would be a serious new proposition for a variety of filmmaking situations!

You might want to check out this finished auction and see if the seller has anymore. However it appears that eBay no longer allows communication via their own email system with a seller after an auction has closed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIZO-6080-SUPER-8-CAME...1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually all that is available...

Custom Upholstery for barneys.

The Film Group among others for crystal sync.

• Premium Member

Thanks Jacob!

I know about the Film Groups' products, and other crystal sync'ing options on the market. I think I expressed myself unclearly here as I was thinking of a discussion we had in this thread here concerning the Pro8mm rebuild-&-modified version of the Beaulieu 4008-series: I was pondering about built-in mininaturised modules that could be put inside the body as one would expect in other formats.

I am grateful for the hint about Custom Upholstery. We are using their products for Eclair cameras, but I didn't know they were also tailoring Super 8 solutions now. I shall check prices etc. out!

I've been looking for a 35mm time-exposure rig and I walk into a place in the San Fernando Valley that specializes in all kinds of camera gear, and they also had some super-8 cameras...

On the shelf was a Black Nizo Professional. I really wanted it, but I had in mind to buy only one camera so I bought the 1048. Then you Mr. Lehnert waxed poetic about the Nizo Professional and I began to have second thoughts. $225 dollars seemed a reasonably low price...

$225 for a black Professional is a steal! Where'd you get it?

• Premium Member
$225 for a black Professional is a steal! Where'd you get it?

It was an accidental discovery. I was actually looking to get a Mitchell 35mm camera for shooting time-exposure and I walked into this place in Van Nuys and what do I see to my left? Five Super-8 cameras, all good models, and all that was left from an inventory of 35 to 40 of equal or better cameras.

To my right were 16mm and 35mm cameras.

Cinemagear

By the way, I picked up the 1048, they may still have the 2056 however. Slightly louder than I would like but not obnoxiously loud either. They do camera maintenance work.

It was an accidental discovery. I was actually looking to get a Mitchell 35mm camera for shooting time-exposure and I walked into this place in Van Nuys and what do I see to my left? Five Super-8 cameras, all good models, and all that was left from an inventory of 35 to 40 of equal or better cameras.

Cinemagear

By the way, I picked up the 1048, they may still have the 2056 however. Slightly louder than I would like but not obnoxiously loud either. They do camera maintenance work.

I'm in the Valley, too. Thanks for the tip-- I know the place but never associated them with super 8. I wonder who's collection it was? It's funny, but this part of L.A. seems to have become the Super 8 center of the world these days. Who would of thought-- I love the Valley!

• Premium Member
I'm in the Valley, too. Thanks for the tip-- I know the place but never associated them with super 8. I wonder who's collection it was? It's funny, but this part of L.A. seems to have become the Super 8 center of the world these days. Who would of thought-- I love the Valley!

The funny part is he was sworn to secrecy by those who consigned it. I would theorize that it might have belonged to a company that stopped doing business in the LA area, but I don't recall any company with that many super-8 cameras. If the last five cameras were that good, what the heck were the other ones?

lol, I don't want to know. Apparently they were slowly sold off to the local music video crowd. Probably the people that also shoot in 16mm and 35mm since that is what this company is primarily known for.

• 4 months later...
The best timelapse features I know on a super8 camera has the BAUER A512 and A508 as it has aditionally to the normal timelapsefeature like on the Nizos also a longtime exposure feature, that allowes you to make timelapse shots in nearly total darkness, as it simply exposes as long as it needs, and then it switches to the next frame. Normally you can shoot only 10 sec. with this mode, but if you block the 10sec. counterwheel with a piece of adhesive tape or something else you can shoot as long as you want. The more light the camera gets the faster becomes the framerate.

there seems also to be an EUMIG camera with the same features, but I don't know this one.

Daniel

I have had my 512 for a few months and didn't even know about this amazing feature until today. Thank you very much for explaining how the long exposure works on the Bauer. No english A512 manual is a little frustrating. I find it such a great addition to the world of movie cameras. It adds so many possibilities, I can't believe my luck. I was sure the 512 was one of the best Super 8 cameras available, but now I am convinced that it's the best camera by far. Thanks again Daniel.

• Premium Member

Well, then it's grand time you did. It hasn't the pre-set T function that makes the Nizo pro unique for the Original Poster's means of back then, but otherwise, the "soak-up"-style B function is as great as the one found on the rather rare ZMII, the A512 and the pro.

Go to this post in the FAQ for an overview, if you havn't already:

CLICK ME HERE

• 1 year later...

Hi everybody,

Sorry to bring this topic up from nowhere...but I need some more information about time lapse / time exposure options.

Most of my questions may come from subtle translation problems as I'm no English native speaker so, please, make your answers as simple as possible.

I'm considering 2 cameras stated above for time lapse / time exposure purposes : Bauer A512 and Nizo Pro, but I don't really get the different options they offer.

Here is what I understood :

Bauer :

- you set the "sequence duration" (max is 12 sec without taped knob) which corresponds to the duration of your sequence when you'll project it

- camera is Auto B so it measures the amount of light 'till good exposure is reached then moves to next pic 'till your X pics are done

Nizo :

- can do the same as above

- you can also set the FPS you want (1 fpm max) BUT :

* does it work in the above context, meaning : you set the sequence duration and FPS, camera will measure amount of light and stop exposure when needed then wait for the interval you set (through FPS) before exposing the second pic.

A- Question could also be : is there a camera on which you can set :

1- sequence duration (final sequence length when projected, ie : I want to see a 15 second time lapse)

2- auto B (ie : I want the camera to expose each pic correctly)

3- interval between 2 shots (ie : I want the camera to take one pic every X seconds)

B- Complementary questions :

* Is it possible to "override" the auto B (ie : setting manually the exposure time - how long the frame is exposed) ?

* What if auto B takes too long compared to set interval (point 3 above) ?

Thanks for your help...I feel a bit lost. :(

• Premium Member

If you are using a Eumig super-8 800 series camera, you can first gauge what the camera thinks is the right time-exposure duration, then change it to what you think is good by covering the light sensor with a variable LED, especially if you plan on changing the f-stop from wide open to a 2.8-5.6 range.

This technique is very easy to do with a Eumig 881, 880, 860, or a bolex 680. Caution, the Eumigs need periodic lubrication for the f-stop motor, the camera motor, and the zoom motor.

I'm not sure how easy it is to manipulate the photo sensor for the other two cameras you mentioned. However, the Nizo has the ability to invert the time-lapse function so it works in time-exposure mode, and that may be the easiest method of all.

use a digital frame counter that counts single frame pulses to count out the number of frames you want your camera to record in time-lapse mode.

I've been looking for a 35mm time-exposure rig and I walk into a place in the San Fernando Valley that specializes in all kinds of camera gear, and they also had some super-8 cameras. I had a choice between the Nizo 1048 and the Nizo 2056, I tried them both and in this instance the 1048 was quieter. In this instance the 1048 at 24FPS was quieter than the 2056 was at 18 FPS. (however the 1048 has less filming speed options and a slightly smaller zoom ratio)

On the shelf was a Black Nizo Professional. I really wanted it, but I had in mind to buy only one camera so I bought the 1048. Then you Mr. Lehnert waxed poetic about the Nizo Professional and I began to have second thoughts. $225 dollars seemed a reasonably low price.

So I saved up some dough from a recent job and I bought that one as well. You are to blame Mr. Lehnert.

A Nizo Pro, and a black one at that (I think they are rarer) for $225. Damn, you got a steal. Hope it works.

I feel completely lost, here's what I found one a website about the 2 stated cameras :

Nizo Pro :

# Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon MACRO-MULTICOATED 1.8/7-80 mm

with ZOOM (2x power and manual)

# Split image focusing

# 18, 25, 54 fps and single frame

# interval timer - variable between 6fps and 1frame per minute

# Autom.B

# Auto/Manual Exposure, +1, fix, also possibility of over and under

exposure control with 3 increments of 1/2 +/-.

# Autom. lap dissolve

# Connection for E-flash, remote control, cable release, pilot sync

# powered by only 6 AA batteries

Bauer A512 :

# Schneider-Kreuznach VARIOGON (MULTICOATING) 1.8/6-70mm

MACRO lens with ZOOM (2x power and manual)

# Split image focusing

# 12, 18, 24, 54 fps and single frame

# interval timer (6fps/1 sec. to 1fps/min.)

# Autom.B

# Auto/Manual Fade

# Auto/Manual Exposure

# Automatic lap dissolves

# Connection for E-flash, remote control ...

# powered by 6 AA batteries (not need extra batteries for the lightmeter)

I thought only the Nizo had the interval timer stuff (6fps - 1 fpm) ...

I went through this topic again...things are getting clearer for me each time I read it :rolleyes:

Having 2 Beaulieu 4008, I'm still hesitating in buying a timelapse dedicated camera (Bauer A512 or Nizo Pro) or trying to find the Beaulieu timelapse unit.

Is there some way to find these TL units maybe remanufactured ?

Seems to be a really rare stuff, even hard to find some pics of it ...

Any help / information / pictures on that device would be great. :unsure:

Thanks.