CF Bent Pins

Stephen Williams

• Premium Member

Hi All,

I read on CML that Geoff Bolye had a small problem with the CF module. I searched the web and came up with this:-

http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_mem...er/adsahdcf.asp

Priced at $31.99 seems worth the risk to try it. The red unit is $500.

Thinking this a little further can't one just replace the CF unit with a 10,000 RPM 300GB Seagate HDD?

Stephen

• Premium Member

> I read on CML that Geoff Bolye had a small problem with the CF module.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

> http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_mem...er/adsahdcf.asp

I'm not sure how this would help. It gives you a serial ATA interface; the camera is designed to use compactflash (which is very similar to parallel ATA). You can certainly get CF wear extenders which just duplicate the pins end to end on a simple PCB, which is what you would probably want here. CF is really not designed for the sort of uses it's being put to here, although it's a nice standard format.

> Thinking this a little further can't one just replace the CF unit with a 10,000 RPM

> 300GB Seagate HDD?

Depending on how decent an ATA implementation exists in the camera, yeah, it would probably take nothing more than an adapter cable. Given that they're having to specially select CF cards to go in it, though, it suggests their ATA interface may make a few assumptions.

Phil

• Premium Member
Red will have an option to use hard drives if you want. The idea behind CF is for a more secure data acquisition.

They also have other solid state recording options coming out for those that don't like CF.

Hi,

I was thinking about a drive now, why wait if you can have it today.

Stephen

• Premium Member
I'm not sure how this would help. It gives you a serial ATA interface; the camera is designed to use compactflash (which is very similar to parallel ATA). You can certainly get CF wear extenders which just duplicate the pins end to end on a simple PCB, which is what you would probably want here. CF is really not designed for the sort of uses it's being put to here, although it's a nice standard format.

> Thinking this a little further can't one just replace the CF unit with a 10,000 RPM

> 300GB Seagate HDD?

Depending on how decent an ATA implementation exists in the camera, yeah, it would probably take nothing more than an adapter cable. Given that they're having to specially select CF cards to go in it, though, it suggests their ATA interface may make a few assumptions.

Phil

Phil,

Having seen inside a RED the CF adapter looks very similar, the bottom connector is slightly different. Should be easy to use off the shelf components.

Stephen

Hi all,

I understand that on later cameras, the CF port is glued to the camera making DIY repairs more difficult. Thats a shame if you live along way from Red's HQ.

Stephen

Stephen... you understand wrong. The 1st ones were glued to compensate for the "deep drop" in the slot. That was fixed two months ago and every camera now has a bolt mounted and replaceable CF writer.

Maybe you should email me this type of stuff in question form so I don't have to watch the board for mis-information. I'll always respond to you quickly.

Jim

Edited by Jim Jannard

• Premium Member
Stephen... you understand wrong. The 1st ones were glued to compensate for the "deep drop" in the slot. That was fixed two months ago and every camera now has a bolt mounted and replaceable CF writer.

Maybe you should email me this type of stuff in question form so I don't have to watch the board for mis-information. I'll always respond to you quickly.

Jim

Hi All,

Jim answered an email as follows:-

sure... 1-25 went out with bolted CF cards in too deep. 26-somewhere

before 100 went out glued. Somewhere to 100 went out correct. All

new cameras 101-forever and all replacements for 1-100 are fixed

BTW... 50% of the ones that went out glued have already been

replaced... which is a moot point because we are taking them all back

for new cameras. I think that this is a bigger story (customer

service beyond reason to those that accepted early cameras) than the

"we sent out 30 cameras with glued CF modules" story. IMHO.

Hi All,

Jim informs me that some of the cameras 26-100 were glued, all cameras 101+ will be glue free. That is good for DIY enthusiasts.

Stephen

Actually, about 30 were glued of 26-100 and about half of those were replaced. This is a moot point because all 1-100 will be replaced with a final camera at N/C to our customers, including shipping. Our early customers knew they were getting cameras that were not finished. They didn't know that they would get a free replacement when we were done.

Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest Rainer Fritz

the last post is some time ago, but we had at our last shooting the problem, that some pins where bend when changing the card at the writer on the cam. so i suggest all to have one port in spare or at least a red-ram or red-drive. the problem i think so far is, that the card could be inserted not only straight in the writer... would be fine to have an adaptor to the original pins which can be replaced....

regards

rainer

• Premium Member
Red sells replacement boards at $200 a piece. These can be changed in the field. Supposed to be as easy as changing a hard drive.

Red drives have started shipping as well.

Hi,

Thats good news.

I can confirm it's just as easy to change as a hard drive.

Stephen