Dripping lemon

G McMahon

Hello all,

I have been asked to shoot a small part (the only live action spot) on an animated spot. My part is a lemon being squeezed in front of a green screen. They want to see the juice to use that part.

My concerns are, 1). that if I ask there fx guys this question that I may appear amateur, so I want to know whether it is a valid question to ask there fx guys.

2). As a lemon being squeezed juice is semi opaque, the green from the screen will be seen in the juice. Is that a concern to raise to them?

3). A more generic question, I seem to take on some production managing roles with the level I am working. They ask for a quote with no specifics. I give them a price, and turn around with some requirements. Example: after telling them prices, and what might be limitations of certain gear, they may say, " the creatives insist on HD with as high frame rates as possible". So I can think, go to town, and shoot on a vari cam and invoice for that. If i was to do that then, they may hit the roof. So surely they should give me an indication of the budget, or a least time to sit down and put a package together. Your thoughts, or how have you approached this dilemma.

Thank you,

G McMahon

Also never let them back you into a corner budgetwise, you can't budget for things you don't know about so it for example you budget for SD, you state in the budget that this is for SD, then if they want to know what HD would cost, you adjust the budget accordingly and let them know how much more that will cost although I would sit down with them and ask what they want to do beforehand. At that meeting they will probably ask for your recommendations so tell them what you think. If you don't know what it will cost, tell them you will have a budget in a day or two and find out. BUT once you submit a budget, you're committed to it so make sure you're right 'cause clients hate it when you change up on them and probably won't hire you again, also do what you're contracted for no more or no less and if they start throwing extra stuff at you, TELL them it'll cost extra to do and how much that extra will be otherwise you'll look like the bad guy and may not get paid. Also make sure you get money up front and never deliver the product until you've been paid in full because otherwise you may never get paid. In other words, be professional. (Oh and BTW it's not "semi opaque" it's "semi translucent ")

Edited by James Steven Beverly