Mitchell 2000' magazine.

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

Hey good people,

Can you stuff 2000' of print stock into a Mitchell standard 1000' magazine? I was hoping the outer diameter of print stock might just fit in there.

If not, does anybody have a 2000 footer Mitchell magazine they could part with?

After all of that, does anyone know why Mitchell made 2000 footers? Did Kodak ever make negative stocks in 2000' rolls?

You know, on my 2-perf camera that would give me a run time of 44.5 minutes per mag. Holy cow!

Thanks,

Paul

Can you stuff 2000' of print stock into a Mitchell standard 1000' magazine? I was hoping the outer diameter of print stock might just fit in there.

After all of that, does anyone know why Mitchell made 2000 footers? Did Kodak ever make negative stocks in 2000' rolls?

Estar base is thinner than acetate, but not that much thinner.

Squeezing in 1250' of print stock is more realistic.

They made 2000' rolls of negative for VistaVision/Technirama cameras and probably the occasional newsreel or TV job.

But 2000' is the standard size for a reel of a movie.

Negative used to be cut into 1000' reels. prints from two reels of cut original would be spliced together for a 2000' projection reel.

But now the negative is cut into 2000' reels.

• Premium Member

The VistaVision system used separate mags for feed and takeup. A one-piece two chamber 2000 ft mag would be inconveniently large and heavy.

Panavision made some 2000 ft. displacement mags about 10 - 20 years ago for use on sitcoms, most of which have now gone to HD video. Those don't see much use any more, maybe they're still around.

-- J.S.

The VistaVision system used separate mags for feed and takeup. A one-piece two chamber 2000 ft mag would be inconveniently large and heavy.

Panavision made some 2000 ft. displacement mags about 10 - 20 years ago for use on sitcoms, most of which have now gone to HD video. Those don't see much use any more, maybe they're still around.

You'll notice that the 2000' Technicolor magazine is in one piece:

technirama-kirk_douglas-1x2.gif

technirama-kirk_douglas-2x2.gif

r-metty.jpg

Hooking up and unhoking the take up motor looks like a bit of a chore too.

Alan Gorden has a used 2000' Mitchell magazine for $2500.

http://www.alangordon.com/s_used.filmcam.mags.html

I seem to recall that Mitchell made a 2000' top for the BNC. I'd guess that they could be counted on one hand.

• Premium Member

The Alan Gordon listing is the only one I could find on the web. I've got a guy here locally that can laser cut the 6061 aluminum plate that I need to just build one. He'll do it to my drawings for about $400.00 out of scrap pieces kicking around the shop. I'll strip the works out of one of my 1000 footers to finish it up. It's just a big rectangular, narrow box with an additional catch plate for the bottom mount and the works out of the other mag. I'll line it with corduroy. It's a lot of work but way cheaper than Gordon's item.

I was hoping someone here might have one laying around, stubbing toes.

I was in LA about a year or so ago with my wife. We went to the camera museum downtown and saw their Vista Vision camera. It had those "elephant ears" style mags.

Paul,

In answer to your query regarding what used 2000' Mitchell mags and was negative film available:

35mm soundtrack recording cameras made by Westrex often use a 2000' Mitchell magazine. See the Ra-1231 manual on:

http://jrsky.com/manuals.html

(RCA 35mm soundtrack recording cameras use a Bell and Howell magazine.)

Kodak and Agfa (yes Agfa) still sell 2000' 35mm soundtrack recording film.

Kodak:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...12.20&lc=en

Hope this helps.

Henry.

In answer to your query regarding what used 2000' Mitchell mags and was negative film available:

35mm soundtrack recording cameras made by Westrex often use a 2000' Mitchell magazine. See the Ra-1231 manual on:

http://jrsky.com/manuals.html

Kicking myself, if one is printing a 2000' reel, one also needs a 2000' track neg.

If one is optically printing an I/N, such as S35 I/P<Scope I/N, the printer's camera head will need a 2000' mag. Since it'll probably be an estar stock it won't be full to the brim.