aaton minima

Christian Tanner

does anyone of you guys know if the shutterangle of the aaton minima can be changed at all?

the tech-specs on the aaton site sais "revolving shutter" - which kind of confused me as kind of every shutter is revolving isn't it?

many thanx in advance!

cary

My understanding from having worked with the camera is that there are two versions of the shutter (or revisions of the camera). One is fixed at 172.8 and one is fixed at 180. From what i remember one of these revisions is far rarer than the other but I might be entirely wrong. The shutter is fixed (unchangeable) and you would have to look elsewhere for an adjustable shutter S16mm package. This has been discussed before on this site and a search of the forums should produce some results and answers. The A-Minima is a fun camera to use.

• Premium Member
does anyone of you guys know if the shutterangle of the aaton minima can be changed at all?

the tech-specs on the aaton site sais "revolving shutter" - which kind of confused me as kind of every shutter is revolving isn't it?

many thanx in advance!

cary

It's 172.8.

And it's fixed.

(hey..the camera's cheap. Adjustable viewfinder and changeable shutter make it a lot more expensive.)

The revolving shutter is perhaps referring to a secondary shutter attached to the main shutter that allows what aaton called "distant eye viewing"

This means you can take your eye away from the viewfinder while you're rolling and not fog the film.

I was never game enough to try it outside but did a few times indoors and it was fine. With a small monitor, you can actually operate the camera in DV style with the camera out in front of you and then seamlessly put your eye back on the viewfinder.....BRILLIANT !

jb

thanx for the help guys.

...and sorry for not beeing able to use the search tool properly it seems :)

shame about the angle though - was planing to use it on a helicopter one take where i follow the artist in and out the chopper. i would have loved to shoot the rotating blades with a closed down shutter angle.

cary

• 2 weeks later...
What about shooting at 48 fps and then taking every other frame in post? If finishing on video/DI, that might be worth a try if you're limited to the A-minima for the shoot.

How is that done in post? Do you do it manually or is there some sort of computer assistance available?

chris

If you're finishing in HD at 24fps, you can just put the 48fps-originated shot into the timeline in your editing software and set it to playback at 24fps with no frame blending. It will accomplish this by simply playing every other frame.

If you're working in SD video at 30fps, it's a little trickier--you first would want to remove the 3:2 pulldown to get back to your original 24fps material, then do what I suggested above, then render the result back out to 30fps with pulldown added back in.

I hope this helps--

Mark