Letus35 Extreme Vs. RedRock

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Guest Rod Blackhurst

Any thoughts on this? The Letus35 Extreme only results in a half stop of light loss whilst the RedRock is a stop and a half.

Has anyone used both? I can look at examples and read company profiles/reviews till I'm blue in the face but I'd like to hear firsthand if possible.

Rod

Any thoughts on this? The Letus35 Extreme only results in a half stop of light loss whilst the RedRock is a stop and a half.

Has anyone used both? I can look at examples and read company profiles/reviews till I'm blue in the face but I'd like to hear firsthand if possible.

Rod

Hi:

I have the Letus Extreme and I have a friend with the M2. The M2 is not bad but their flip module is not available until well into next year. Also, the M2 is known for being a bit more involved to setup and calibrate collimation, gg, etc. The Letus Extreme is a no brainer to setup and it is heavy, durable and built like a tank. The image on the Extreme is very good, although different than the M2.

I have not personally shot with the M2 but I have been on crew on a couple of shoots with the M2 so I have been around it and have seen what is involved with setting it up and have seen the end results.

To be candid, all of the 35mm adapters have different looks and feels, different amounts of edge to edge sharpness and definitely different renditions of Bokeh. In order to make an intelligent buying decision, you should not only check out these two adapters, you should also check out the SGPro and the Brevis as well, both of them are very good and quite different than the Red Rock or the Letus.

You are probably aware, but if you are not aware of the costs involved, you will need a lot more gear than just the adapter and lenses. Many newbies with 35mm adapters get sticker shock when they realize that in order to effectively use one, you may need rails, rail mount, on-board monitor, follow focus, matte box, filters, ancillary battery system, etc. I have close to $6,000.00 in just the 35mm adapter and accessories to make it all work besides the camera and P2 cards themselves. You will also need a quality tripod head if you don't already have one. My HVX/Letus Extreme rig weighs right around 22lbs now with all of the additional gear so a POS Bogen doesn't cut it. You may be a pro and this may all be obvious, if so, my apologies.

www.redrockmicro.com M2

www.adapterplace.com Letus Extreme

www.cinevate.com Brevis

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/pages/home/homeframeset.html SGPro

Also, the DVX User forum has an extremely active 35mm adapter forum that you an learn a lot on

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=113

All the best,

Dan Brockett

Edited by dan brockett