Juno

Thank you Jason. Those other types of comedies just aren't my style or taste. I need something in the film other than jokes to have enough of an emotional response to be able to light. I know that sounds really annoying and arrogant but I promise that is not how I mean it. I don't even think I could do one of those comedies if I tried...I don't know how to light unless there are motivated sources in the scene. I just can't light actors. wherever. I need to justify it in my head.

I really like the exteriors too. I think the biggest contributing factors to those were the time of year so far north where the sun is basically perfect by being low on the horizon all day long, and the lenses. Some of my favorite exteriros didn't make the cut, but I really like using high speed stock (18 or in the case of JUNO 5229) outside during the day. It just takes the edge off the transition from light to dark. One drawback from doing that of course is the increase in grain but for me, the texture it provided really worked towards the tone of the film.

Oh and I'm glad you liked the magic hour shot of her and the chair cause it was faked! The first shot on her face was courtesy of 2 Maxis and a Dino; the chair shot was done about 10 mins after sundown with almost every light working to recreate the sunset and ambience.

Brad-

I wouldn't say swamped, but there has been a measurable increase in script flow. The problem though has been that most of the scripts have been of the bright and slick comedy variety Jason just mentioned. There really hasn't been more than one or two dramas. There was one drama I really liked, pretty low budget, that lost it's financing the day after I accepted their offer. It's been somewhat depressing how bad some of these scripts are. Almost all are studio in the 10-20 million range, a few more than that. It's amazing how much will be put into a bad comedy, how little into a really well written dama with great characters. The dramas have been indie. And yes, JUNO was my first studio experience.

"and I'm very curious how the financial and critical success has/will affect your future offers."

Me too!

Coincidentally, I just arrived in TX to begin preproduction on my next film, a studio dramady that I got offered 4 days ago which I absolutely love. More on that to come...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
"and I'm very curious how the financial and critical success has/will affect your future offers."

Me too!

Well, considering you're about to start another studio feature, I'd say it's already affecting you in a good way. Congrats.

That's great to hear about your next feature, Eric. After seeing Juno and hearing your thoughts on the kinds of films you enjoy making, I immediately thought of Brick. Low budget, but high production value, and an original story (unless there's been another teen noir film, but I can't think of one off the top of my head). It'd be great to see more original films being made, and made by folks like yourself and some of the other hardworking guys and gals who populate this forum. Congratulations!

But yeah, I loved the exterior light in Juno for those very reasons you gave. My very first learning experience with film was shooting some 8mm in Germany, Austria, and Czech during the winter, and it was like you described. Magic hour seemed to be almost all day, and there were just enough clouds to act like giant overhead silks. And talk about locations...

Congrats Eric great movie.

I can't stand film projection. So inconsistent. For all the drawbacks digital has, you gain so much more in other areas.

This is more based on the working practices of the theaters which are inconsistent. Different theaters have different quality control of projector and prints. Prints do become scratched and dirty eventually. Some theaters regularly replace scratched prints some don't.

If a theater does not properly take care of its projectors or prints there is little digital can do to resolve that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Congrats Eric. Juno has been nominated for Academy Award Best Picture.

Two years ago you shot a film that won Sundance. Now you shoot a film that has Oscar potential, Congrats......

And his director also got an Oscar nomination. I'm jealous -- I've shot 30 features and have yet to get that far! Plus I hear that Rodrigo Prieto hired Eric to shoot 2nd Unit on his current movie, I think the Kevin MacDonald one. In anamorphic. Congrats!

Everyone involved is pretty elated. I never thought I'd be at this point so early in my career. Reitman and the others nominated really pulled off something special that seems to connect. I'm almost just as suprised that the $100 million domestic BO is right around the corner! I don't know what I'm going to do once the pregnant teenager scripts dry up!

Regarding Rodrigo's film, yes he had hired me and I was on it for a while, but unfortunatey due to the repeated delays and pushes, I had to bow out of shooting 2nd Unit for him. It really broke my heart to do so as he is one of my favorite cinematographers and the nicest person I've met in this business. Kevin McDonald was also very gracious and really seemed to know what he is doing. I'll be the first in line when it comes out.

I'm now prepping in Austin on a new film I'm really excited about. It's called WILL, dir. Todd Graff.

Back to the Oscars, I couldn't be happier for the surprise nomination for Jason. I've known him since high school and have been at his side watching his rise to the top. I'm really impressed that his fellow directors chose him to be nominated.

Those other types of comedies just aren't my style or taste. I need something in the film other than jokes to have enough of an emotional response to be able to light. I know that sounds really annoying and arrogant but I promise that is not how I mean it.

Not arrogant at all. If only everyone in the business felt that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had the opportunity to see this (it just premiered last week in Finland). Fantastic work, Eric!

I really like using high speed stock (18 or in the case of JUNO 5229) outside during the day. It just takes the edge off the transition from light to dark. One drawback from doing that of course is the increase in grain but for me, the texture it provided really worked towards the tone of the film.

I see what you mean. Did you apply any DNR in post? It was a bit hard to judge the grain, as the print I saw was quite soft - but such is the case with the prints of most Hollywood films here, so I'm rather used to it....

Hi Eric,

Congrats on such an amazing film. Beautiful, Subtle and complementary of the story throughout.

You must sit back with the hugest smile thinking about the transition your life as a DP has gone through in the past 12 months

Juno really was an organic piece of cinema, Congrats again,

Regards, James.

Finland, wow...I didn't know it would be there so early. I also noticed some soft prints, must be something in the release printing. God I hate release prints. I wish I could get every print out there to be a show print.

Thanks James. Yes, it's been an incredible last year. Where before I would talk about films I had shot and would get an occasional "oh yes, I heard about that" whereas now it's "you did JUNO??!?! I LOVE that movie. I've seen it twice!" It really blind sided me. Glad you enjoyed it!

Hi Eric, first congratulations, you do a great job. I love what you do in Juno, as someone say I sit and enjoy the movie... I like several things like the interior colors in Juno house at night, the living room at Loring house I love what you obtain mixing daylight with a little warms"practical"...subtle... and of course a elegance crane over Juno when she's on the car looking the sky, great !!!. BTW, great Art direction...

Anyway great work man congratulations and good luck...

Xavier Plaza

• Premium Member

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't enjoy this film. I'm afraid I thought the dialogue was constantly trying to be too clever, making it impossible for the actors to pull off. The only one who looked truthful to me was the impregnator.

Looks like I'm the only one who didn't enjoy this film. I'm afraid I thought the dialogue was constantly trying to be too clever, making it impossible for the actors to pull off. The only one who looked truthful to me was the impregnator.

Ah Max, Mr. Cold Heart! How can you not be won over by this film, it was sweet, it was sincere, it knew what it was talking about (rare for indie films), it gave you characters you had never seen before, it was non-judgmental, i could go on for ever....

Okay the dialougue was stylised, but so was Shakespere...

Watch it again and forget the dialougue - you'll be suprised how much you start to like it :P

When I was screening a print at Deluxe the right side of the screen was soft so I'm not surprised. I ran into David at the Kodak Vision 3 thing and we were recounting bad projection stories...amazing how common it is.

I can't stand film projection. So inconsistent. For all the drawbacks digital has, you gain so much more in other areas.

Thats odd, I experienced the same problem (though slightly, it seemed i'm the only one who noticed) in a cinema in Hammersmith, London.

Other wise it looke great. I'll see it again when it goes through the reportary cinemas, single screen cinemas always have the best standards here.

It will be interesting to see how the multiplexes cope with the technical demands of digital.

• Premium Member

You didn't feel Jennifer Garner looked honest?

• 4 weeks later...

It finally started in Germany and even the Germans simply love it!

"You didn't feel Jennifer Garner looked honest?"

I think this movie made me understand the feelings of people in her character's situation - and I'm a <25 years old male German engineer - that means something ;-)

I saw it twice (once original, once in German) and it really made a difference, although German translation is usually pretty well made, this time it was unable to imitate the orignal dialogue. In the beginning I wasn't sure if this language is "overstyled" - but after seeing this movie without original dialogue I realized how perfectly it fitted the movie/story. I think this is one of the few movies people will remember in 30 years and they will say: "Look, those movies aren't made anymore" :-)

Mr. Steelberg, I really enjoyed the visual style of "Juno", in Germany they often call it a "non-Hollywood-small-independet-movie", maybe it is, but it to me it had the same wonderful, well-thought and "rich" looking visual style of well-made Hollywood-movies!

I hope everyone who was involved in this project profits from it in the future - your work was part of one of the best movie experiences I've ever had! Danke!

Edited by georg lamshöft

Thank you Georg!

Max is not the first person to have his criticisms and will certainly not be the last. One thing that has been strange to me about JUNO is that people either seem to really love it or fiercely hate it. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.