Price List

Landon D. Parks

Recently, there was a price list available (I think it was on the Silicon Imaging website) that listed the price of the camera, its accessories and the 35 adapter and lens set of the camera. Recently, I have been unable to find it?

Jason, Ari, anyone?

Thanks,

Landon

• Premium Member
Recently, there was a price list available (I think it was on the Silicon Imaging website) that listed the price of the camera, its accessories and the 35 adapter and lens set of the camera. Recently, I have been unable to find it?

A simple Yahoo! search under "SI-2K price" got me this:

http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinem...%202007.pdf.old

Ah, thanks David. I just tried that with Google... without much result (at least in the first 3 pages).

Landon

It was on page 4... just kidding...

Haven't heard much from these guys... of course they don't have the money behind them like Red...

And I think with the delays of the P & S adapter... and other things... and not sure if you can still go to FCP... with out jumping through 50 hoops...

I don't know about that... Silicon Imaging has been making Industrial cameras for a while now from what I'm getting. I think they probably have just as much money behind them as RED, if not more. At least SI-2k is actively shipping cameras that are ordered (meaning I don't have to put $1,000 down and wait till who knows when to get my camera). Which either means that no body is ordering them, so they have enbough to go around OR they have a better established production line than RED at the moment.

RED also still has some work flow issues to work out. My main gripe is that IF I don't want to shoot in a 4k format, I'm stuck with a windowed sensor, which means that I have lost my "35mm DOF" of the large chip. So why not shoot in 4k, then down-res to 2k in REDCINE? Because 4k is to much data for me, even just to store till a down-res.

Once RED catches up to the actual features of the SI-2k (and not just the claim of a larger sensor), then I might consider a RED.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the RED camera. It's just at this point, I would take features over resolution.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Landon D. Parks

I don't know about that... Silicon Imaging has been making Industrial cameras for a while now from what I'm getting. I think they probably have just as much money behind them as RED, if not more.

I'm not sure about that... my leaning is Red... but like I said... I don't know...

At least SI-2k is actively shipping cameras that are ordered (meaning I don't have to put $1,000 down and wait till who knows when to get my camera). Which either means that no body is ordering them, so they have enbough to go around OR they have a better established production line than RED at the moment.

Its been a while since I've looked at them... I knew someone who at NAB wanted to purchase two... right then... they could not get them to him before his shooting date in June.... yes a while back... but back then they built the cameras when you ordered them...

So yes if you need it now and they can get it to you now... then go for it..

RED also still has some work flow issues to work out. My main gripe is that IF I don't want to shoot in a 4k format, I'm stuck with a windowed sensor, which means that I have lost my "35mm DOF" of the large chip. So why not shoot in 4k, then down-res to 2k in REDCINE? Because 4k is to much data for me, even just to store till a down-res.

I believe that the sensor will still give you 35mm dof in shooting 2k with the Red.

On workflow at the time the SI could only go through Cineform... you have to purchase Cineform... a Mac lab top... run boot camp... do some trick to change the files to quicktimes... then save them... then reboot in OS... then import them into FCP... way to many steps for me... and I'm not sure if the FCP work flow has been worked all together either... in other words... you point the camera... shoot... load it into your Mac and start editing... it doesn't matter which camera I just want to import into FCP... guess I'm just lazy...

Just my $0.02

Just my .03 for today also... look... from a dp who saw Red... he thought the interface on the SI to the menus was better...

But the last I checked the P & S adapter was not out... so you would only get 16mm depth of field... at least this is what I remember... now I'm putting a disclaimer that I could be wrong...

Look I just want a camera that will work and all the bugs worked out before I would lay down $40 to $50k on a camera and support package... but until then... I'll just keep renting a Cine Atla...

Another package to keep in mind... yes no 2k or 4k is the HPX 500... can't think of the place in Texas.. but you can get the camera and cine style package for about $42k... but it goes right into FCP and since its the HVX's bigger brother... a lot of the bugs are worked out...

Edited by Gary McClurg

I'm not sure that the full SI 2k is currently available, they seem to be doing low profile beta testing and adding features. I know of one person on DVinfo who's been shooting using one of the "demo" examples.

I've heard of SI Mini is being used on a number of productions and seems to have found a niche in shooting 3D.

The workflow on all these data cameras seems to need careful planning.

Perhaps Jason could give an update on the SI 2k's current status.

• Premium Member
Last I heard, SI-2k was shipping in early Q3 of 07. So if thats right, it should have started shipping around the first part of October. Jason or Ari, any updates on availability?

Hi Landon,

What happened to your empire?, I notice your now a student.

Stephen

SI-Mini is shipping and has been for a while now. Full SI-2K will ship in ebruary, after a bunch of suggestions by Beta testers and others have been incorporated. The SI platform is a very complete one and it works very well. Very solid and stable. The camera performs and post has gotten a lot simpler. The FCP interconnectivity is either here now or just on the horizon (can't recall at the moment). SI's smartest move was to partner with others who had already shown their competence with what they were looking for. This meant Cineform for a compression/editing medium, P+S Technik for a physcial camera build, Iridas for look management, a custom computer builder for the integrated CPU, and then a simple slot for hard drives, so you can record four hours of material on a basic harddrive for about $0.50 a minute (cheaper than most tape formats -- just give the client the drive).

If anyone is interesting in purchasing a Silicon Imaging camera, Abel Cine Tech can sell it to you along with all the associated accessories.

My empire?

Don't know it was ever much of an enterprise, but I'm still workin' on it. Maybe one day! Technically, I'm not really a student (I'm not learning anything), I'm just kinda on a break from anything to do with Film making for a while, which I hope to end very soon.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for posting so late, and thanks Mitch for following up here.

Some quick points: The price list is currently available by either contacting us or distributors like Abel Cine. Part of the reasoning behind no current public price list on the website is that we are still working out some of the pricing details for upcoming accessories (not the cameras themselves), and distribution agreements for international support. As such, posting U.S. pricing can be a little misleading until we get everything sorted out, since those with Euro, VAT, etc. will be a bit different, but it won't be 1:1 correlation (i.e., we are not going to use exchange rates to sell in other markets), so we're wanting to get that all straight before publically posting something. Since we are not going the route of direct-to-market sales, simply posting price lists like other domestic companies without taking into account how the international distribution and support networks will have slightly different pricing (actually better for those in local countries since it will mean you won't have to pay unnecessary import fees, etc.) will cause a lot of confusion.

As for FCP, the only "hoops" you're going to have to run through in a couple week will be recording a QT in the camera, and then dragging that into your FCP timeline . . . no transcoding, re-wrapping, etc . . . just drag-and-drop :) Basically the QT support for Final Cut Pro with all the full-resolution demosaicing and color metadata support is now fully implemented in in-house betas, and should be released for a public beta soon.

As for camera shipments, we have currently shipped our entire first preliminary production run of 25 cameras to customers around the world, and we have taken the suggestions from those customers and incorporated some minor tweaks and improvements in our second larger manufacturing run that will be completed for shipment in early Q1. BTW, if any of the current customers are reading this, not to be concerned, since we will have an upgrade path should you want a newer enclosure. The enclosure is not changing radically though . . . again, it's basically tweaks here and there.

Thanks,

Jason

• 6 months later...
As for FCP, the only "hoops" you're going to have to run through in a couple week will be recording a QT in the camera, and then dragging that into your FCP timeline . . . no transcoding, re-wrapping, etc . . . just drag-and-drop :) Basically the QT support for Final Cut Pro with all the full-resolution demosaicing and color metadata support is now fully implemented in in-house betas, and should be released for a public beta soon.

Haven't checked out the camera in a while... but according to the site says FCP is still coming... is it here and you just forgot to update the site...